• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bold very small schooling fish?

UllavL

Hi, I have 20 trigonostima espei in my 84 l tank and debate if I should change them for some other fish. I find them too big to really fit into the scape. Boraras will jump out and are too shy. So a bold schooling fish, smaller than the espei, who like to stay in the water is what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

bwBClC.jpg

The boraras I've had in there before have unfortunately jump and hid between the rocks :( Don't think they are the best choice for this tank. I'm thinking of ha group of corydoras hastatus or pygmeaus? I already have a group of c habrosus in there but they stay on the bottom. Maybe would give the fauna a nice toned down look while the flora is more colourful and eye catching?

I wouldn't go less than 6 or 7 they will feed on the bottom. Even though they spend alot of time mid level. But if your hasbrosus are as calm as mine they shouldn't mind sharing the space. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I good size group of neon rasbora would be great too. They are smaller than your trigs. Would work good for scale. But its easy for me to say it's not my money. :)

Microdevario are also prolific jumpers.

They don't care about much but will go over the edge

See you learn something everyday they are on my list of convince the wife we need them :) I would have learnd that the hard way. 20 is what I would do.

I have a dozen or so Habrosus and they stayed in little groups to begin with and really swam about the tank up and down but after about one month they calmed down a lot and spend most of their time snuffling around the bottom in ones and two's before an occasional mad swim session. My tank is heavily planted so that might be part of the reason I don't see masses of them out together. I'd recommend them but not so much as a focal species unless you are sure they will work in your planned scape. I have 10 glowlight danio's and 10 golden pencilfish to fill the upper layer and the danio's are by far the best tight shoalers but perhaps a little big for your requirements.

I've ~50 M kubotai in one tank, no jumper losses to date & no signs of any interest in such activity (these were listed as wild caught)

In contrast my P simulans are seriously shy, I began with ~20, then added another 17 or so (last the shop had) ... not much change ... they're everywhere IF no one's about (or one sits very, very quietly)
- this is a wild caught group; I had a few jumper losses when kept in the small Q tank, but no signs of jump activity in the wider,taller tank

Generally the dwarf Cory's are much more outgoing when kept in large schools ... begin with ~20 if budget allows (& more if possible) - C hastatus seem to be the most mid water oriented

I have a dozen or so Habrosus and they stayed in little groups to begin with and really swam about the tank up and down but after about one month they calmed down a lot and spend most of their time snuffling around the bottom in ones and two's before an occasional mad swim session. My tank is heavily planted so that might be part of the reason I don't see masses of them out together. I'd recommend them but not so much as a focal species unless you are sure they will work in your planned scape. I have 10 glowlight danio's and 10 golden pencilfish to fill the upper layer and the danio's are by far the best tight shoalers but perhaps a little big for your requirements.
I agree with you on the habrosus, they stay on the ground. Therefore I was thinking of adding a school of pygmeaus since they aren't as bottom oriented. What do you think?

I've ~50 M kubotai in one tank, no jumper losses to date & no signs of any interest in such activity (these were listed as wild caught)

In contrast my P simulans are seriously shy, I began with ~20, then added another 17 or so (last the shop had) ... not much change ... they're everywhere IF no one's about (or one sits very, very quietly)
- this is a wild caught group; I had a few jumper losses when kept in the small Q tank, but no signs of jump activity in the wider,taller tank

Generally the dwarf Cory's are much more outgoing when kept in large schools ... begin with ~20 if budget allows (& more if possible) - C hastatus seem to be the most mid water oriented

Interesting! Do you have a picture of the tank you keep the kubotai in?

I agree with you on the habrosus, they stay on the ground. Therefore I was thinking of adding a school of pygmeaus since they aren't as bottom oriented. What do you think?

I'm sorry these are the only dwarf cories I've had the pleasure to look after, so can't really help.

As I sit here though and the tank is dimly lit with ambient light, I can see them flying around the tank. They definitely seem more active in dimmer conditions but are still ot and about when the lights are on. I would say however, and not sure its the same with other dwarfs, that they aren't exactly peaceful. My Adolfoi's gentle roam the substrate snuffling about and are very calming to watch but these tear around the place. So if you want a quite tank and pygmeaus act the same you might need a rethink. For me they add something you can't get with any other fish and I love them so don't mind the hyper activity.

My pygmies spend 99% of their time on the substrate.

All the dwarf Cory's do, really .

If do, i'll think I'll rethink :)

The only time my pygmy's leave the substrate to browse the upper plants is when the lights are off, and my tank is low light.
40w over 260 litres.

Back