• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape - 12 Rummy Nosed Tetras Added

Re: Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape - Finally planted page 10

Kewl, I think I'll throw in another couple of test fish at the weekend, not Ottos tho. If they fair ok I will see if I can find somewhere that's selling Amanos!

Bobtastic said:
Kewl, I think I'll throw in another couple of test fish at the weekend, not Ottos tho. If they fair ok I will see if I can find somewhere that's selling Amanos!

The Abyss in Stockport normally carries them. Very good fish shop.

Get your CO2 down to 30ppm and everything should be fine ;)

andyh said:
Get your CO2 down to 30ppm and everything should be fine ;)

It'll be fine for the fauna, and awesome for all the algae I'll get too. ;)

But I guess I'd need something for the Otto and shrimp to eat. :thumbup:

I'll check out Abyss, but been to any of the Stockport fish shops yet!

Ok. Need some advise on "best practise" when introducing fauna to Co2 enriched tank that has been running with a fish free start (i.e. extremely high Co2).

Is it best to turn the Co2 right down and also low the light time, ruffle the surface to gas of a much as you can then introduce the fauna. Then once settled in gradually turn up the gas and increase the light time?

as long as youre at 30ppm then you should be ok to add them without turning it down as youll lose your setting on the reg that got you to 30ppm.

I introduce mine with the lights off, float the bag in the tank and gradually add your tank water to the fish shop water until you're at double or more int he fish bag. once your happy youve got them acclimatised you can net them out of the bag into your tank. Dont add the fish bag water to your tank in case the shop you bought them from has some nasties in the water or new types of algae spores that you didnt have before!

If youve got the time this can take an hour or two but be minful that the tank water your adding will gas off some of that co2.

I'm not sure how you can guarantee that you are at 30ppm... I have lowered my bubble rate but not sure that it's low enough to have happy, non-dead fish.

I'm familiar with the acclimation process, just not with a Co2 equipped tank.

I tried again with one of my plattys from the low tech tank and it didn't seem overly happy with the experience... Gas has been lowered further, but obviously don't wish to continue torturing fish... Hence the idea of dropping the level right down and then building it back up to an "acceptable level".

I'm sure this is an obvious question, but you do have a dkh4 thingey? (Can't remember what they're called - little glass bulb with indicator fluid in it.)
As I understand it, just because you have X bubbles per min, that doesn't necessarily give you much indication of how much CO2 is actually dissolved in the water.

Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape - Finally planted page 10

idris said:
I'm sure this is an obvious question, but you do have a dkh4 thingey? (Can't remember what they're called - little glass bulb with indicator fluid in it.)
As I understand it, just because you have X bubbles per min, that doesn't necessarily give you much indication of how much CO2 is actually dissolved in the water.

A lime green drop checker

Bob

Having never set a tank this way, i have no real hands on experience but i would do/suggest the following:

1. Reduce your lights i.e run 2 tubes instead of 4 etc for a week or two.
2. Reduce your CO2 level so that you maintain a green drop checker. Yellow is the enemy for fish. Green is sufficent for growing plants.
3. Try to introduce your fish at a time when the CO2 aint on, preferably b4 it comes on, so that they can get used to being in an CO2 enriched environment grdually.

Good luck

Andy

andyh said:
1. Reduce your lights i.e run 2 tubes instead of 4 etc for a week or two.

I only have 2 tubes! So all I've got it the time the lights are on.

andyh said:
2. Reduce your CO2 level so that you maintain a green drop checker. Yellow is the enemy for fish. Green is sufficent for growing plants.
3. Try to introduce your fish at a time when the CO2 aint on, preferably b4 it comes on, so that they can get used to being in an CO2 enriched environment grdually.

That was my thinking.

After a successful introduction of a "test platy" I decided to take a trip down to my LFS! and came home the proud own of 5 Rummy Nosed Tetras and 5 "algae shrimp". The shrimp looked a bit like Pinocchio shrimp, but I don't think their noses were long enough.

After a rather... nervous looking start on the Rummys behalf all new additions seemed to settle in fine. The shrimp were running around the tank and were swimming up into the water column. Everyone seemed to settle in and the Rummys happily took some food.

Everyone looked happy at lights out, and to help with their first night I decided to put a Korillia one a time pointing at the surface to gas off as much Co2 and exchange O2 for the new inhabitants.

Unfortunately when I checked this morning all the shrimp are dead... their bodies have turned a milky white... The Rummys look ok, but RIP shrimp.

I wonder if my flow is to strong for them? Or may be the Korillia interfered with the flow from the spray bars so that the O2 rich flow didn't get to the bottom...

Yeah, the Rummys were schoaling near the bottom. The flow from the spray bars seems to be quite fast around the tank and they don't seem to be much chance to rests...

Hi Bob, not visited this journal yet but thought id take a look at a few for inspiration for my nano. Loving the rock work!

Thanks Westyggx! Took an age of tweeking to get it to how I liked it, as you will see if you read from the start! ;)

I've now added a total of 12 Rummy Nosed Tetras and they seem to be very happy. They seem to be running sentry across the front of pane of glass whilst the lights are on and they are not hiding.

I'm now thinking of adding some SAE so can ppl share their opinion on Siamese Algae Eaters? I quite like the look of them and they look pretty similar to Ottos, which I planned to put in but haven't been able to find any... Are SAE as good or better than Ottos at eating algae?

Back