• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Blue Ram Growth or Knock?

Fluxtor

Hi me again!

I've noticed a little white bump or knock on my male GBR head. He's feisty little bugger always chasing the female all over the tank so I presume he hit his head in the excitement. Would you concur or could it be a growth?

TIA

Attachments

• PXL_20240712_175724747.jpg
    PXL_20240712_175724747.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20240712_175916897.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240712_175916897.MP.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
Hiya mate, the Blue Ram is a bit of a troubled species in the UK in-so-far as they're very fragile. Problem you find with this species is they're mass produced in other countries because they make big dollar, why wouldn't they be? Beautiful fish as far as freshwater goes. To up the yield and profit they're often kept in sterile conditions, kept away from other fish and treated with meth blue from birth while separated from their parents.
Then they find themselves in community aquariums at slightly temps than they're used to experiencing lots of pathogens they've never been exposed to before.
Not guaranteeing it but that looks like the beginning of hole in the head disease to me! Hopefully not.
Now, I've had success in the past using Harkers worming med for Pidgeon's, bare with me. I can't find the dosing method right now and I have been drinking! In the meantime, keep temp ideally above 26 dC and search for this info on ukaps because I'm pretty sure that's where it came from.
If not, I'll find it tomorrow and post again.

Thanks for the information. Is Hole in the Head something that can take time to develop? I have a pair of rams that have been in my tank now for several months.

It does take time mate, all you can do is keep an eye on it and see if it develops further. Fingers crossed it is just a bit of an abrasion that's healing. Keep an eye out for lack of appetite and white stringy faeces.

Back