• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

bloody Snails

RudeDogg1

Found 3 tiny rams horn snails today dont know haw they found there way in when ive soaked all plants in potasium pomanganate b4 planting. Omly thing i can think of that they stowed in must of been the Plagiomnium Trichomanes
as i didnt soak it as it was very crumbly. Ive gotten rid of the 3 i found but no doubt theres more hiding are they one of the pest snails? Preferably i only want trumpet snails in there which i dont have yet because i assume you cant add them untill the tank has cycled or doesnt it matter with snails?

I find ramshorns the most useful of all clean up crew (they even eat BBA).
I find the pink and blue ones very pretty to look at as well.

You will get away without cycling with most snails (nerites are a possible exception).

Hi all,
I've got Red Ramshorns (Planorbis "rubrum") as well, it arrived as a single stow-away (they are hermaphrodite), but I now have plenty. I also look on them as generally a positive feature as they don't seem to eat much in the way of plants. They do seem to have a remarkable knack for getting into all the tanks.The only tank that doesn't have them in is the tank with L129/Apistogramma, but I don't know if this is a pH issue, or whether one of the inhabitants eats the smaller snails. I've just put 2 adults in and they seem fine, so it is possibly a predation issue, this is also the tank with the greatest range and abundance of algae in it.

If you want to reduce them you can trap them very easily with some melon skin left in a net over night.

cheers Darrel

I've only found 3 tiny ones at the mo I'm going to be getting some kabotai botia when it's cycled anyway so I'm sure they will snaffle up ant baby ones

Back