• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bleddy timer whats going on!

RudeDogg1

I dont know what the hell is going on but its weird and i cant figure it out! Ive got 3 timeguard plug in timmers on the go 2 ive had no prob with but for some reason the light one is playing me up and it makes no sense (i wander if its actualy the starter).When I was on holiday the lights didnt come on a few times now i thought it was just the timer switch sticking which its done befor which i put down to it being an old one. Basicly the timer dial rotates the same as normal and the visable switch moves but it doesnt. Then u unpluge it switch the switch a couple times and it works for a day or 2. So I thought well its a realy old timer ill bin it and get another so i bought 2. I have a spare timer but its one of the tabbed ones which i hate cuz they are noisy and im sure it didnt fail with that one. Anyway I tried one of the new timers and it was fine about a week then started the same thing so I thought crap and tried the other new one which just switched off in a matter of mins. At the moment i have it on the noisy timer but id like to get to the bottom of it anyone have any ideas?

what lights are you using, have you checked to see what amp/watt the timer can operate?

Its a MP (Eheim) double T8 unit Ive not checked the timers because its been fine on the timer since november with no probs

well after ordering another bloody timer and coming home tonight to no light on again ive descovered after plugging the night directly in the plug socket it stays on for aprox 30 seconds then goes off. The place i bought it from is in taunton so cant get there till fri, I have no back up so everything is gonna die and when i can get to the shop it will b a couple weeks befor its in! FFs! help!

I have had bad luck with timers as well. I have tried timers from 3 different brands, all mechanical no digital ones. All of them work fine for a few days then they start losing time gradually i.e. the lights start coming on later and going off later. For example if my initial timings were from 1pm on to 8pm off, after a few days they start coming on a 1:30, going off at 8:30 then 1:55, 2:20, 8:55, 9:20 and so on. Have I just been unlucky with the timers or am I doing something stupid ?

mine wasnt the timers in the end it was faulty lights im awaiting a replacement. With timers tho you need to check they are suitable for florecents as some arnt

Back