• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bleddy Nitrate test kits!

Hi all,
Yes, that looks fine, probably try a water change for "belt and braces" and then add the shrimps and snails. If I was being very cautious I'd add the snails first, and make sure they were happy, before I added the shrimps.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Yes, that looks fine, probably try a water change for "belt and braces" and then add the shrimps and snails. If I was being very cautious I'd add the snails first, and make sure they were happy, before I added the shrimps.

cheers Darrel

Yeah that’s my plan just waiting for a few bits so I can connect my new ro up rather than buy it from Maidenhead

As if by magic the nitrate test started working today and pretty much matched the tetra test. Nitrite one still not working tho. I did contact API and they just deny there could be anything wrong with their tests. It’s just users that aren’t happy with the results being quick to blame API. Lol I’m sorry but that test is well known for not working aholes

Hi @RudeDogg1

I suggest you consider the JBL range of test kits in future. I've been using most of their test kits for many years and they continue to serve me well. And, no, I'm not on commission!

Well I tested some rain water today and that also came out as zero nitrite and 5 nitrate so I’d say they are duff.

Having zero nitrite and 5 ppm nitrate for rain water would be entirely reasonable. May I ask about the RO water? Which remineralizer did MA/you use before adding to your tank? Also, are you using Seachem Prime by any chance?

Yes I have been adding ammonia which has been going in 48 hours

What is the ammonia level (in ppm or mg/litre) in your tank water? As you have the API Test Kit, I assume you have measured this.

Did you add a bacterial starter (such as Tetra SafeStart) to kick-start the fishless cycling?

That's enough for the moment.

JPC

Last edited:
Hi @RudeDogg1

Having zero nitrite and 5 ppm nitrate for rain water would be entirely reasonable. May I ask about the RO water? Which remineralizer did MA/you use before adding to your tank? Also, are you using Seachem Prime by any chance?

But u wouldn’t have 5ppm from the tap, tank and rainwater. I used seachem equilibrium. No I wouldn’t need to add prime

What is the ammonia level (in ppm or mg/litre) in your tank water? As you have the API Test Kit, I assume you have measured this.

It was added at 4ppm now about zero.

Did you add a bacterial starter (such as Tetra SafeStart) to kick-start the fishless cycling?

I used ea pure aquarium balls and abit of stability neither of which I think do much

That's enough for the moment.

JPC

I’m happy to leave it for another couple weeks just wandered if it would be safe to add some amanos and a couple snails to battle the diatoms?
Hi @RudeDogg1

It doesn't look as if your tank has cycled properly if you haven't measured any nitrite at any stage during the process. But, I'm not surprised if you used "ea pure aquarium balls and abit of stability". If I were in your shoes, I'd add Tetra SafeStart bacterial starter (at the recommended dose) to your tank. But, that would require a small amount of ammonia to feed the bacteria. I'd probably opt for 1 - 2 ppm ammonia at the outset. Now, I'm aware that my suggestion conflicts with the advice offered by @dw1305. Which approach you choose will be influenced by your timescale. If you are using a canister filter (with suitable media) for biological filtration and you would like to introduce tank inhabitants in a couple of weeks, I would go down the ammonia + SafeStart route. Otherwise just use SafeStart plus a few snails (with small amount of suitable food) as this should produce a very low level of ammonia, which may be adequate to keep the biological filter ticking over. And, if time is not an issue, then you may not need to add anything.

Whatever route you choose, I'd be inclined to measure ammonia and nitrite every day to prevent any unforeseen problems arising.

JPC

Hi @RudeDogg1

It doesn't look as if your tank has cycled properly if you haven't measured any nitrite at any stage during the process. But, I'm not surprised if you used "ea pure aquarium balls and abit of stability". If I were in your shoes, I'd add Tetra SafeStart bacterial starter (at the recommended dose) to your tank. But, that would require a small amount of ammonia to feed the bacteria. I'd probably opt for 1 - 2 ppm ammonia at the outset. Now, I'm aware that my suggestion conflicts with the advice offered by @dw1305. Which approach you choose will be influenced by your timescale. If you are using a canister filter (with suitable media) for biological filtration and you would like to introduce tank inhabitants in a couple of weeks, I would go down the ammonia + SafeStart route. Otherwise just use SafeStart plus a few snails (with small amount of suitable food) as this should produce a very low level of ammonia, which may be adequate to keep the biological filter ticking over. And, if time is not an issue, then you may not need to add anything.

Whatever route you choose, I'd be inclined to measure ammonia and nitrite every day to prevent any unforeseen problems arising.

JPC

The nitrite kit don’t work as said above I got another one today and I do have a nitrite reading and nitrate as said above, cheers might try some safe start to be on the “safe side”

Back