• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black paint for tank background

Ive used blackboard paint in the past, and it is easy enough to remove with a razor blade too.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

I just use the tester pots from b&q or homebase. Any emulsion is fine but if you prefer gloss don't go near the silicon seams.

Saying that however you get a much better finish with vinyl as you won't see the brush marks.

Or place the tank 5 to 10 cm away from the wall and paint the wall behind the tank in a preferably color. :) Gives a nice sence of depth and makes the tank look a bit deeper. Also the light spil against the wall, it casts a shadow 2/3 from the bottom up the wall is darker. So it's not only a nice effect in depth but also verticaly rather naturaly looking with the wall turning darker going down to the substrate..

I used chalk paint in a nice rustique old english gray. But any natural color can do. Behind my tank is a very old roughly textured wall, gives it a bit of a clif wall appearance.

That's intergrating the tank into the house decoration. imho a win win over all.. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I painted some wallpaper backing paper, rollered on emulsion paint so no brush strokes, and taped to the rear of my tank. Easy to change colour if not happy.

black acrylic paint from any type of craft shop, when you want to remove it, easily comes off in slabs with a Stanley blade

black acrylic paint from any type of craft shop, when you want to remove it, easily comes off in slabs with a Stanley blade
Hi Aqua, want to paint or vinyl coat the back of a tank but will need to be able to attach inlet/outlets to the coated surface using suction cups. Do you know if they will still attach well on an acrylic painted surface?

I also use vinyl... easy to remove when you change your mind.
Hi Kadoxu, I would like to paint or vinyl coat the back of a tank but will need to be able to attach inlet/outlets to the coated surface using suction cups. Do you know if they will still attach well on an vinyl surface?

Hi Aqua, want to paint or vinyl coat the back of a tank but will need to be able to attach inlet/outlets to the coated surface using suction cups. Do you know if they will still attach well on an acrylic painted surface?
I think Vinyl it works ok (make sure smooth), but not against acrylic I've found

I think Vinyl it works ok (make sure smooth), but not against acrylic I've found
Thank you for that info. That makes sense. I suppose with all the best effort, with paint the surface will still be uneven on a micro scale which will allow air in. Unless it is lacquered and buffed, but I'm really not up for going down that route! Cheers!

Thank you for that info. That makes sense. I suppose with all the best effort, with paint the surface will still be uneven on a micro scale which will allow air in. Unless it is lacquered and buffed, but I'm really not up for going down that route! Cheers!

Depending on your inlet/outlet of choice, something like these might work as an alternative to suction cups:

Back