• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black Out, Cyano, Thread and a work trip

Ricrhys

Seedling
Evening all, I'm about to go on a four day work trip, my tank is doing ok however it have a small case of the cyano and a dose of thread algae, I've been managing this by daily manual removal and am slowly reducing light period as I'm pretty sure it's getting too much and this is the root cause.

Tank details:
60L Rekkord.
APS 600-HO filter added last week to replace the compac that came with the tank.
one wake maker for flow.
21˚Temp
‎CO₂ one bps on a pressurised system with a solenoid, goes on an hour before the lights and off an hour before they go off.
dosing once a day with tropica the brown one.
50% water changes on a Wednesday and a sunday

Lighting:
Aquasky 2.0 7hrs full light with a ramp up/down and a small siesta. white 100% green off and red and blue at 80%

Stock:
12 white cloud minnow
5 Danio
Clean Up Crew:
2 Sucking loach added recently to help with the algae issue
6 Amano shrimp but my record sighting in one go is 3 since adding them.
a couple of nerite snails

heres my video, apologies for the Rayburn kicking in and ruining the sound (possibly the most middle class thing I've ever typed)

I'm about to go away for 4 days and wont be able to keep up with the manual removal. So my plan is to do a blackout for the 4 days, obviously turn off the ‎CO₂ and leave the fish unfed? then when I return I'll reduce the light to 6hrs, no siesta and see how it goes.

looking for others to chip in and see what they think?

It all sounds very sensible to me. Obviously complete another round of manual removal followed by a water change before you go. It does take many weeks for blue green to finally give up in my experience, hopefully the blackout should speed this up significantly.

The cats destroyed my blackout on day one, Sharon managed a pretty good job of fixing everything on day 2 while I was traveling for work (which involved 3 trains, 2 planes and multiple busses and taxis, Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic so algae might be the least of my worries, corvid 19 eeek), anyway after a 3-4 day blackout the result was surprising the cyano has disappeared (I'm expecting it back as I know how tenacious it is) but the hair/thread is still lingering, I was expecting it to be the other way round. I've reduced the light to six hours and am going to reduce it's intensity to 70%, the limnophila sessiliflora still went nuts during the blackout so Ive trimmed it and replanted the cuttings, I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Side note 50% water change before and after the trip were carried out. Will restart dosing tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back