• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black Magic Taro?

Smells Fishy

So i first heard about this plant while watching a dustins fish tanks video. I was instantly drawn to the plant and stopped watching pretty much right away once i got the spelling right on google and did a little research because its a real sexy looking plant. So yeah i want one but I'm wondering has anyone actually had one of these and more to the point inan aquarium? Looks like a rad plant but having something that grows over 3ft high sticking out the back or sides of your tank will look a bit mad most likey. Is this a common plant and how would i get hold of one of these? My garden center does pond stuff so maybe i could acquire one through them, can you order something you want like you can in a LFS does it work that way?

Taro is usually Colocasia esculenta.....but there are numerous varieties, and I should think species, to choose from.
Like stated above, it is an important vegetable in many countries, therefore quite common in "ethnic groceries".
I have grown a few different varieties for exibition in a zoo, including very dark ones - all grew very fast and very big.
- be aware, that some people are highly allergic to the sap of Taro........I'm one :( !

Thanks guys. Theres a Asian grocery store in town so its good to know that i might be able to get a bulb there. Still interested to know if someone has kept this plant in an aquarium setting tho.

Hi all,
I have grown a few different varieties for exibition in a zoo, including very dark ones - all grew very fast and very big.
This is a photo especially for Mick.

colocasia-esculenta-black-magic-jpg.6672.jpg

From <"Chimney Rock">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Its a shame it doesnt show the pictures when i click the link, is this the same for anyone else?
Same for me, I think they've probably gone.

I'd posted that picture (into the "Chicken Rock" thread) and that meant it had a UKAPS address rather than the original links used by the OP, and is still available. The OP doesn't visit UKAPS any longer.

There is a Taro thread (with pictures) in <"3ft shallow scape">.

You might also find <"@hydrophyte's"> <"Cryptocryne Riparium"> thread useful.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back