• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black leaves on Bolbitis

frothhelmet

I have a bolbitis in London concrete tapwater under medium light. It grows really well but a couple of the leaves are turning dark/black especially near the leaf edges. It doesn't look like algae on the leaf but almost. Anyone know what this is?

I don't know what it is but I'm suffering the same thing and after a while those leaves just seem to turn into a mush. I recently increased my liquid carbon dose and thought it may be related to that?

It grows really well but a couple of the leaves are turning dark/black especially near the leaf edges
Its BBA, due to poor CO2. See James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide

Plants don't care about water hardness.
Just remove the affected leaves and improve your CO2.

same thing and after a while those leaves just seem to turn into a mush.I recently increased my liquid carbon dose and thought it may be related to that?
Liquid carbon can adversely affect many plants, they basically just melt away...been there, spent numerous £££ on plants and promptly melted them away. I seriously reduced my liquid CO2 dose (along with using CO2 from fire extinguisher) and plants all appear to be monsterously surviving.

Hi all,
It doesn't look like algae on the leaf but almost. Anyone know what this is?
I think it is BBA as well, and I think it gets a foot-hold on chalk deposits (CaCO3) formed during photosynthesis in hard water.
Plants don't care about water hardness.
Growth can be increased considerably by supplying CO2, and is only optimal in soft, slightly acidic water
This is probably true when you add CO2, but low-tech Bolbitis does much better in soft water. I've got loads in my rain-water tanks, but it has never survived long in our local tap (about 18dKH). Vallis is the exact opposite, great in tap water but I can't grow it in rain-water.

cheers Darrel

I simply trim these when it happens. Have you try growing emmersed?

When leaves of Bolbitis die (fx. from "disliking" water-standards), they tend to do so from basis. This is likely why they turn dark/black at basis. You can see same thing happening to Microsorum.
Bolbitis is well known, for prefering softer,more acidic water.
Mick.

Put Bolbitis heudelottii into your paranthesis, then my friend :)...........that one cares !
Mick.

I'm pretty sure it's not BBA. Have a look at the photos. I also keep rams in this tank and used to have BBA many years ago until I added them. I think it's probably just an old leaf syndrome as some of the commenters have said. The bolbitis has been growing like crazy in this tank for many years.

vk84.jpg

10wc.jpg

dtfk.jpg

Hi all,
Have a look at the photos
Interesting, looks like diatoms on the 2nd photo, but definitely could be an old leaf senescing, I'll see if I can find an old leaf for comparison, but my Bolbitis is very dark green, so brown dead patches wouldn't be so obvious. <Do I need magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4)? | UK Aquatic Plant Society> that is a good point, plant growth problems in hard water conditions can often relate to the calcium/magnesium ratio, and/or problems of iron uptake caused by interference by calcium ions. If you add magnesium or iron (but only in a chelated form) these problems go away, same applies once you are into the realms of EI and unlimited nutrient availability, nearly all plants will grow as there aren't any nutrient limitations and CO2 addition will depress pH.

cheers Darrel

Back