• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black Lava rock prep

EA James

Hi all,
I've got 16kg of lava rock for when I finally get round to re-scaping the tank.
How or what do I need to do before its put in the tank? Just a good rinse off with normal water?
Probably a stupid question but i'd rather ask just in case!
Cheers

Yea a good blast outside with the hosepipe to remove as much as dust as possible. Lava rock can be quite dusty. Save some small/ugly bits so you can break them up to add detail.

Ok as I thought then, Cheers

Save some small/ugly bits so you can break them up to add detail.
emoji106.png
Just yesterday I broke up 3 of the larger ones for that reason! :thumbup:

It’s worth knowing that you can easily chisel out pockets for planting if you want to. Just a hammer and a small chisel will do the job, best wear safety specs though just in case.

It's also quite good for tying epiphyte plants to odd bits and hiding behind hardscape.

A rinse is definitely a good idea. I've found I tend to get a diatom algae outbreak when I first put it in my aquascapes but it tends to burn itself out for a while. Don't be surprised when things go brown for a while 😅

@CJayT its not a new set up, just a rescape. Tanks been up and running for a year now so its all good. I did suffer with Diatoms though for quite a long time, they were very persistent:banghead:

Back