• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black hair algae on plants. I’ve done everything I can!!

hongsit

Hi,

Need some help again as I’m seriously about to give up with this planted tank!! Something I don’t want to do but it’s really discouraging to face constant issues even if you feel you done everything that’s recommended. I’ve researched and researched but I seem to be battling algae all the time.

So my tank measures 120cm x 50cm x 70cm height.
Spec’d as 329l. Been up and running for 4 months. I have injected co2, currently running with the two original 20w led tubes which is of 2350 lumens each.
I have another two superfish led tubes which is currently not used, these are around 5000lumens each. I did use all four led lights about 4 weeks ago, but an outbreak of staghorn algae made me switch the two superfish leds off for the time Being.

Filter I have FX4 and a JBL e1502 combined flow would be around 4000l/min.

I have never had lights on more than 8hrs but recently have the lights on for 6hrs only.

Co2 comes on 2hrs before and 1hr before lights off.

My nitrate and phosphate is high out of the tap, nitrate being 40ppm, phosphate can’t remember but it was high. I know test kits are unreliable and I’ve have ignored them for now.

I have mostly easy growing plants, java fern, amazon swords, crypts, can’t remember most of the names.
I’ve recently added water sprite (4 weeks ago) which is meant to be a fast grower, however I haven’t noticed much growth!! I have no idea why but am I expecting too much in 4 weeks?

I have Tropica soil and I’m dosing full EI, 10ml per 50l water.

Ammonia and nitrite is 0.

I’m trying to get rid of the algae but it’s difficult as I can’t remove all the plants, so I’m trimming back the worst impacted leaves. However it seems to be never ending. I’ve bought and replaced plants but the new plants just slowly succumb to hair algae.

I’ve attached a few pics to give you an idea of my tank. The co2 is below the fx4 outlet and directs the bubbles all over the tank.
Drop checker is light green at lights on.

I honestly don’t know what else to do, I’ve done everything that’s been recommended but I need some help/guidance in terms of what to do next.

I started EI dosing around 4 weeks ago.

I’m relatively new to this hobby and I love it, but as I said it’s discouraging to face constant hair algae issues and I just can enjoy the tank, so any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

6e43f8f257d996bc0ca246fcb772ba89.jpg

0967bd88caa8b19d5bb20affc442f37c.jpg

b972f87bf6b941f213b862e24b47c6d8.jpg

2b87bffeb49a4f1230f2d54046595460.jpg

a16fcf57cc5e01299a57b59b50daaae0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 125
Don't be too hard on yourself.
Your tank looks quite nice.
According to dennis wong..No drastic action should be taken against a bit of hair algae.
Just keep up a good maintenance schedule...and as the plant mass increases,the algae decreases.

Good luck.

Thank you John, yes I wasn’t sure if my expectations were a bit too high.

I’m not sure if you classify this as a tiny bit of hair algae or bad?

I’m pretty sure that will get worse over the next few days. But as I mentioned are my expectations to high, have I not given it enough time for the plants to stabilise and adapt? Is my constant trimming and try to get rid of algae making things worse?

668e9f22323f99636d94fd910b34b8fb.jpg

I wouldn't call that bad.
Maybe drop the lighting intensity a touch..or even a standard dose of glut.
Don't be too eager to trim.

I agree. the level of cleanlines you're aiming for needs a LOT of pruning and pinching out every last bit of bba. As far as I know It's not possible to get there by just letting things grow naturally.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Thank you guys, I’ll take all that onboard and just let things be. I do 50%+ water changes weekly, hopefully that’s enough.

I have been dosing TNC carbon which I assume is the same thing? Some of the hair algae has turned red so I’m hoping my amano will start taking interest in them.

John the light is currently set at 40w about 4700 lumens, I consider that is quite low lighting, the only thing I can do is just have one on, would that be too low?

Sorry mate..I can't answer that,as I'm unfamiliar with your lighting set up.
I think you only need"tweeks"from where you are now.

And remember...even the most beautiful tanks go through periods,when they are not at their best.

Thank you John, and thanks for the encouragement, glad to know I’m not doing too badly.

The start is the hardest bit.. As the plants get bigger It will get easier.
What's your lighting period? (should be 6 ish hours to start with)

Another trick is to place the drop checker next to the worst affected plants to check they are getting the Co2

Are you applying the TNC carbon with a syringe straight onto the worst affected plants?
Also a 24 hour back out from time to time will give the algae a far harder time than the plants.

I would probably also try and increase the plant mass, you could add something like Elodea Densa that's cheap and very fast growing.
Rip it out in 3 months time when your plants have grown and everything has settled down.

Thanks Barbara, my lighting is currently at 6hrs, yes applying the tnc carbon with syringe right on the plant. May get more plants I don’t think I have many fast growers. Just trying to find space to plant :)

A bit more encouraged after reading the responses :)

I agree with Barbara, get some fast-growing plants to increase the plantmass quickly, and remove them when the plants you actually want have grown bigger and/or spread.

Hi all,
I would probably also try and increase the plant mass, you could add something like Elodea Densa that's cheap and very fast growing.
Rip it out in 3 months time when your plants have grown and everything has settled down
Agreed, more plants. <"Ceratophyllum demersum"> is a good one if you can find it, and or a <"floating plant">.

cheers Darrel

face constant hair algae issues

Difficult to have no algae. As others have said more fast growing plants. As Darrel says Tropical hornwort is a good filler. Just float it, it doesn't have roots and your aquas-cape would remain unaltered. Also a good indicator of light levels, too little light and the plant becomes leggy with elongation between nodes. Too much light and its green colour bleaches out.

You could try spot treating algae with 'liquid carbon' put the tank dose directly onto the algae. Hydrogen peroxide dosed onto the algae also works. Use a teat pipette, or go to your local chemists and cadge an oral syringe. Fish that eat hair algae always end up liking fish food better.

Hey man I'm not an expert, not even close, but I have been able of having my tank algae free, or at least as free as not considering it a problem, I have an algae eater fish, a bristlenose pleco, and besides 3 plants hanging on the back with their roots on the water that take most of the nutrients the alga needs, and it works almost instantly, don't know the actual names but here's a picture:
20181129_074818.jpg

Thanks all for the suggestions, spoke to Dave at aquarium gardens and bought a few fast growing stem plants. Will look at he floating plants and see if I can find some this weekend.

Back