• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black Earth, would you go there ?

Jack Reilly

I'm deeply impressed by the quality of cal aqua lily pipes that have outshined and outlasted even my Ada lily pipes. The value is astounding and I'm surprised these aren't the default recommendation when it comes to glassware.

Now I'm tempted to get their black earth soil which looks interesting, but this one feels like more of a gamble than the pipes. Once I set the tank up with this soil there's no going back, unlike pipe's which I can just switch out.

Anyone tried or thought of trying this substrate ? Researching online I've only found a handful of user experiences, I'm wondering why this soil isn't used often?

I am using it in my 45p tho still dry starting, I only read good things about this soil, it doesn't break down like ADA soil will do over time and also it doesn't initially leach a huge amount of ammonia (if any?), grain size is also a bit smaller / varied than ADA soil which is good imo, the mix of smaller and larger grains will help when planting.

Its a good substrate, a friend it using it in his tank. Give it a shot.

What I don't get is, if it's similar to Ada without the negatives of Ada why isn't it more widely used? I probably will give it a shot but I do wonder ...

If Black Earth were available locally I'd not hesitate - it just seems not to have the marketing team of ADA, Tropica etc

I got my black earth from Aquasabi in Germany, only took a couple of day to get to me in the UK. Free delivery and at the time it work out about £25ish per 9l bag.

Back