• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

taistrietman

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,

had the pleasure of meeting Jeff (one of the mods) recently and he encouraged me to get a bit more involved with UKAPS and specifically with the biotope section.

I've spent a lot of time exploring aquatic habitats, especially in central Brazil, many of them with plants. You can view some of them on my youtube channel.

I was trying to think of a habitat with plenty of plants and fish that are available in the hobby and two stand out, one is a lake habitat with Serpae tetras (Hyphessobrycon eques) and plants including Mayaca sp., Cabomba furcata and Nymphaea sp. You can see a video of it here:

That is a classic blackwater habitat and a temporary one which dries up. Below you can see several photos of the habitat:
1634042598827.jpeg
1634042624137.jpeg

1634042652697.jpeg
1634042694363.jpeg

The other option is a habitat where you find Black Neon tetras (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi) and Black-line tetras (Hemigrammus ulreyi) as well as Apistogramma trifasciata and A. borelli, among many others. The plants include a species of Ludwigia inclinata that I cannot identify properly but which goes bright red in the sun, Bacopa myriophylloides, Helanthium sp., mosses and Eleocharis sp. You can see a video of the habitat below:

Some images from that habitat:

1634043217339.jpeg
1634043255047.jpeg
1634043281780.jpeg

I'd also like to highlight a few habitats where fairly well known plants appear alongside popular fish species, such as Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demerseum) with Rathbun's tetras (Aphyocharax rathbuni), Moenkhausia bonita (which you can get at places like Wildwoods or order from Ely Aquatics and Reptiles) and Serpae tetras in the rivers of the Pantanal as seen here:

1634042225104.jpeg
1634042525300.jpeg

Another typical habitat is a drainage ditch alongside grasslands in the Pantanal with Black-line tetras, Bronze Corys (Corydoras aeneus) and Moenkhausia forestii, which looks very similar to Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae, the Red Eye tetra. The typical plants include Echinodorus macrophyllus, E. cordata (along the banks) and Cabomba caroliana in the water:

1634042921642.jpeg
1634042953678.jpeg
1634042983295.jpeg

Cabomba caroliana in a drainage ditch (above). Along the banks, species of Echinodorus grow in the margins while groups of Bronze corydoras forage over the substrate (below):

1634043034190.jpeg
1634043362256.jpeg

I've got a lot of photos of plants in the wild from Brazil and am happy to share photos and information. I will also attempt to upload more content to my youtube, some of it specifically talking about plants. I am currently working on a 'biotopes for the people book' with George Farmer, working title Aquatic Habitats - Inspired by Nature. I hope that I've managed to whet the appetites of some of you with these images and videos.

Happy plant growing and fishkeeping to you all!

Attachments

• 1634042819982.jpeg
    1634042819982.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 229
Great to see you getting stuck in here @taistrietman - your wealth of knowledge will be gratefully received in this forum! Amazing photos and video, I love it - the colours of the wild Serpae's are incredible.

I know your personal scapes have moved on given the recent video with George Farmer, but your old crypt dominated scape from 2019 is still one of my favourites!

In a word... yes.
Beautiful photos. Any idea when the book will be finished?

There's a book coming? Put me down for that, it will fit perfectly next to my copies of Bleher's Biotopes and Ivan Mikolji's Fishes of the Orinoco!

Great to see you getting stuck in here @taistrietman - your wealth of knowledge will be gratefully received in this forum! Amazing photos and video, I love it - the colours of the wild Serpae's are incredible.

I know your personal scapes have moved on given the recent video with George Farmer, but your old crypt dominated scape from 2019 is still one of my favourites!

There's a book coming? Put me down for that, it will fit perfectly next to my copies of Bleher's Biotopes and Ivan Mikolji's Fishes of the Orinoco!

Thank you for your kind words and support, it means a lot to here it and I'm glad you liked that tank! I did too...but things change and now it's an African biotope :p

Hi all,

had the pleasure of meeting Jeff (one of the mods) recently and he encouraged me to get a bit more involved with UKAPS and specifically with the biotope section.

Was wonderful to meet you Tai. Thank you so much for taking time to share your knowledge and experience with us all here on UKAPS 🙏🏽

I hope that I've managed to whet the appetites of some of you with these images and videos.

That is assured! Simply stunning 😍

As mentioned before, your travels into these amazing habitats has inspired many of us. Looking forward to learning more about each of these unique and wonderful places.

The other option is a habitat where you find Black Neon tetras (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi) and Black-line tetras (Hemigrammus ulreyi) as well as Apistogramma trifasciata and A. borelli, among many others. The plants include a species of Ludwigia inclinata that I cannot identify properly but which goes bright red in the sun, Bacopa myriophylloides, Helanthium sp., mosses and Eleocharis sp. You can see a video of the habitat below:
Amazing to see how strong the current is! Very nice footage.

Back