• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Biomaster Thermo 600 - heatup fail

Repo792

I've had this filter for about a year and it's been pretty good. However I've had some problems with the temperature regulation. This came to a head this weekend when the heatup 300 failed completely and didn't heat at all (I aim to keep tank between 78-83F). I tested and came to the conclusion it was done. I had a spare so swapped out and the water came up to temp ok. I monitored all day yesterday and it seemed alright, if a little high. I woke this morning however to see the temp at 95F and lost about a third of my stock. I got the temp down with water changes but am worried that temperature shock may take more stock.
I have written to Oase today but has anyone had a similar thermostat fail issue with the heatup heaters? I'm so disappointed and feel terrible about the lost fish.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hi @Repo792

The heaters on the Oase filters do need the power cutting off a minute or so before turning off the filter. That extra minute of water flow cools the heater down before stopping the filter.

If this procedure isn’t performed the heater can burn out or get damaged by heat building up in the heat compartment without flow, damaging the thermostat.

It’s possible the thermostat in your heater failed on, which could be for multiple reasons. Really sorry to hear about the stock that have been lost, never easy.

If this procedure isn’t performed the heater can burn out or get damaged by heat building up in the heat compartment without flow, damaging the thermostat
Not sure that is strictly true unless a fault exists, that is what the thermostat is for, it will cut power supply and prevent overheating. A very small amount of water may become a little warmer but that all. While circulating water for a short time after turning heater off may be good practice, it is not something Oase mention in the instructions

I've never had an issue with the heater being turned off just before I stop the filter. I only run my heater at 23c so rarely comes one. The only thing I have noticed after more then a year and half of using the thermo is that because the heater is submerged in the filter water it does get covered in a lot of waste. I make sure to clean mine every two weeks to avoid any temperature issues or temperature sensor issues. i noticed it comes on a lot more when covered in filter waste.

I’ve not done it myself as I don’t use traditional heaters but someone on here said they use an electronic thermostat in addition to the one in the heater. These are likely to be a lot more reliable. I use these with my heat mats.

I’ve not done it myself as I don’t use traditional heaters but someone on here said they use an electronic thermostat in addition to the one in the heater. These are likely to be a lot more reliable. I use these with my heat mats.

After a few near misses in the past I always use these now. For the sake of 20quid I think everyone with a heater should have one. They can be a life saver.

Yep, every Aquarist should use a temperature controller as a backup imo. This will protect against both a stuck on thermostat or a dead heater. You will hear an auditory warning and receive a notification on your phone if the parameters fall outside of what you set them at(too high or too low of temp). It's a small price to pay for safety.

I use the duel temperature probe equipped Inkbird ITC-306A WiFi on all of my tanks(one has a 308 in it) and can recommend it(it is a nice unit ime). It even has data logging so you can see how much deviation you are getting from your target temperature.

Back