• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Biomaster 850

A lot mate. You essentially need double the filter height so you can easily remove the pre filter.
Unless you have a slide out tray or something, lifting the filter in and out is a pita.

Yeah making a slide tray so iI can slide it out for the prefilter. Got an FX4 now and it's so heavy full so trying to make it easier.

Would 700mm be enough including the pipe outlets do you think.

The Oase 850 is 54cm high, leaving you 16cm to play with. Its not the same, but you can see the height and pipes on mine.

IMG_1054.jpeg

I love my 850 output but recently more an more I think about attaching 850 head to 250 body to shrink it down to 37cm height. My 175L heavily planted tank doesn't need 8L of media volume but still needs that flow. I wonder if 250 prefilter throughput is enough for 1800LPH?

@MrClockOff Also, as the 250 is much shorter than the 850 you are going to be increasing the head height which will reduce flow somewhat. Whether that will make a noticeable difference, I don't know....

I love my 850 output but recently more a more I think about attaching 850 head to 250 body to shrink it down to 37cm height. My 175L heavily planted tank doesn't need 8L of media volume but still needs that flow. I wonder if 250 prefilter throughput is enough for 1800LPH?
I’ve got a 350 and it’s not easy to get the filter out of the cabinet for maintenance. I even have to remove it to get the pre-filter out. I’m now thinking of maybe getting a 250 casing, pre-filter cover and inlet pipe as I too don’t need the volume of filter media of the 350 for my tank.
For all the reported issues with the Biomaster it’s a great idea having the same size head but different height cases.
It’s a shame manufacturers like Eheim didn’t think of this years ago.

@MrClockOff Also, as the 250 is much shorter than the 850 you are going to be increasing the head height which will reduce flow somewhat. Whether that will make a noticeable difference, I don't know....
I imagine it's about 20cm head height increase, but it's also 3 baskets less media and 50% less water volume to pull up from the bottom of the bucket. It may even out and make no difference to the flow at all.

I had the same problem with my BM850T. A quick visit to x&x I found a couple of 500mm runners (£15) and with some spare OSB I created a sliding tray. I didn't like the idea of tilting the canister as my cabinet would not allow a full extraction of the prefilter. The basket is lined with gaffa tape for a bit of waterproofing (a drip tray alternative). The tray does slide all the way out so I can lift the canister straight up and away. Wires, towels, makeshift prop for my pipes (have an idea for a sling) - a mess! Behind closed doors tho' 😉
Best, Brian
1720449383477.jpeg

Back