• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Biomass - 1 Year!

CMac

Hi everyone, this is just a big info dump at the moment but I'm hoping to keep it up as more of a journal from now on.
I started this tank back in August 16, my third attempt (the previous two will not be besmirching the good image of UKAPS). What I took from those attempts was, when it comes to low tech: biomass, biomass and more healthy biomass!

Some specs:
Aquarium: Aquael, 60x30x30cm 54L
Stand: DIY, I have tried to keep this out of the pictures!
Lighting: 1x 15W T8 9hrs
Heating: 1x 75W @ 24oC
Filter: 1x small powerhead (for the first 3 months, now removed)

Substrate: A good thick layer of topsoil with 2-4mm gravel cap

Flora: Sagittaria subulata
Vallisneria spiralis
Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia
Cryptocoryne wendtii "Green"
Aponogeton crispus
Nymphaea
Echinodorus

Fauna: 3x Dwarf Gourami (added @ 6 months)
Ramshorn snails
Malaysian trumpet snails

Housekeeping: Daily fish feeds
Weekly 10% water change/top up
Monthly Val control

Day 0
16_08_7.jpg

Day 31
16_9_6.JPG

Day 45
16_9_20.jpg

Day 58
16_10_3.jpg

Day 98
16_11_12.jpg

Day 164
17_01_17.jpg

Day 202
17_02_24.jpg

Day 210
17_3_4.JPG

Apologies for the suspect image quality, "Day xyz" calculations and post length...
Thank you for looking if you made it this far, I hope to get a updated pic by the end of the month after my ongoing campaign against Vallis encroachment!

Cheers,
CMac

So no nutrients added or filtration?

Nope! Just runs on the soil and fish food. It's a little way off "mature" but I'm hoping to run it like this long term.

Thanks for looking,
CMac

Cool, One of my next projects is going to be similar but using something to circulate the water maybe. Good to know that it's do-able.

17_4_26.JPG

Day 263

Still ticking over nicely. Attacking vallis fortnightly, not made much of a dent but significantly reduced its surface cover by trimming it to the water line as much of it was doubled over, sometimes twice! This has unfortunately triggered some green thread algae at the surface closest to the light but im not too fussed.
Really enjoying the C. pontederiifolia, as do the gouramis either resting on it or sheltering under it!

Thanks for looking,

CMac

I really love the look of this....really has a biotope feel to it when there's a thoroughly dominant plant-spread, as though a little square of natural river-bed has been cut and pasted right into your tank-space.

Well done

Mike :thumbup:

Very healthy looking plants, good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw, nice very original title too.. KISS to the max.. :clap:

Thanks all, for your lovely comments! :)

CMac

Loving this tank, and I bet your gourami are too! It's beautifully uncontrived

IMG_20170620_221739471.jpg

Day 346

I do apologise for the scruffy photo, for some reason I took it before waterchange/glassclean yesterday!

Everything is doing well on the whole:
Sagittaria subulata: Still fairly dormant, loses/gains a few leaves each month
Vallisneria spiralis: Still fairly rampant, culled in the front 1/2 of the tank every 2-3 weeks
Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia: Slow and steady growth, my favourite in the tank
Cryptocoryne wendtii "Green": Green and lush, just a bit overrun with vals
Aponogeton crispus: Seems to be slowing down a touch
Nymphaea: Been dormant for a few months but a few new leaves coming out now
Echinodorus: The monster in the deep, innocuous from the front but from the top it now spreads 1/4 of the tank

I have the GHA in the top 2-3cm of water directly under the light, otherwise still algae free. The glass in the picture hasn't been touched for atleast 8 weeks.

In other news, I did abit of DIY to improve the cabinet situation. Still in progress and won't be in use until we (finally) move house, but heres some pics:

Construction:
IMG_20170515_124122.jpg

1/2 coats of primer/sealer:
IMG_20170520_210012395.jpg

1/3 coats of colour coat:
IMG_20170530_145524489_HDR.jpg

The colour should come out somewhat darker with a couple more coats but should still be interesting!

I will update when its layered up with varnish and the like.

Thanks for looking,
CMac

Day 367
Left:
IMG_7011.JPG

Right:
IMG_7014.JPG

1 Year! :thumbup:
I think... Im sure it was August so it might be my maths somewhere along the lines but I'm rolling with it.

Big haircut for the Vals has opened things up but have left some ugly cut edges. The algae in the upper centre of the tank is starting to grate on me abit, it isn't spreading or anything but its the only blemish :shifty:

Thinking of getting some shrimpies when I eventually move in a couple of months, I have always liked them.

Thanks for looking :)

CMac

Attachments

• IMG_7004.JPG
    IMG_7004.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 194
Back