• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bioload for a 29l low tech tank

C00ki3

Hi, I'm wondering what quantity of fish to put in my new planted 29l tank its low tech so i'm wanting lots of co2 and ferts from the fish, its going to be male guppies and endlers that i have from my main tank.

Anyone have any ideas of max/min numbers to create the bioload for healthy plants.

Plant type and pic below.

1 x Staurogyne rubescens - For the slopes round the outcrop and the left foreground
1 x Poostemon helferi - for the left foreground
1 x Tropica Rotala rotundifolia - For the background probably infront of the filter on the back left
1 x Tropica Echinodorus quadricostatus - For the background between the filter and heater
1 x Tropica Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping' 1-2-GROW! - For the carpet on the top of the rock outcrop

015xwc.jpg

Considering plant mass in photo. I would start with no more than six of the guppies/endler's and check the water parameter's daily unless the tank has cycled.
Plant's will take up a fair amount of ammonia but I would still test it once a day for first week to ten day's .(anything other than zero = water change)
If the tank has cycled,and or you have borrowed some seed material from your other tank,, then you might be able to add a dozen at once and after a week, to ten day's,,add another six to eight fish.
I suggest more fish than some may suggest for this size tank, due to the nipping/chasing that male guppies do in the absence of females.
With larger number's,,perhaps no one or two fish will be singled out and aggression will be spread out among many.
Would feed fish tiny amount once a day for a few week's, and add more plant's soon.
Just my two cent's.

Back