• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bio master thermo leaking

Bolota

Hi,
My bio master was off for sometime, and after rescaping my tank it started leaking. I can't diagnose the leak properly, but it comes from the lateral blue clips.
The lock/unlock switch of the taps always worked badly (always had to force it strongly to open). I contacted the vendor who told me I should lubricate the seals. I wonder if anyone experienced that?
What have you used to lubricate?

In my opinion, the bio master thermo is a good idea (integrating pre-filter and thermometer in one divide) but still badly engineered. It is noisy and the cleaning of the pre-filter still messy and not practical.
Meanwhile I returned to my old Eheim...
Cheers.

Quick story. I owned 2 Filtosmart 200. A gift from a fellow hobbyists who wasn't using them any longer. They were only 3 month old when I got them. I sold one as I didn't needed it and kept one for my 60cm tank. I never had a problem in two years other than it started making some noise 3 months ago. I suspected the shaft / impeller, so I went to the only Oase retailer here in Thailand (where I know for a fact the filter were purchased since I have the receipts) hoping to buy the new spare part. I was welcomed with some rather unpleasant surprise when they told me that they wouldn't sell me anything unless I brought the old one to the shop. Mind you the filter was already out of warranty so this request flew over my head. Needless to say it got into a heated argument as I was branded as a liar, them implying the filter was not purchased in their shop. LOL. Even the warranty sticker was on the filter. Anyway it ended up in me threatening them to report them to Oase headquarters for such non sens and disrespectful attitute. Which obviously I did. It took Oase 2 months to answer..... At which point I was pretty annoyed by such bad customer service, be it from the retailer and from Oase headquarters. I specifically asked for the spare part and that I wanted to pay. The distributor then obliged at the request of Oase Singapore and he requested my address but refused my money. One day, while coming back from work I had received a brand new Filtosmart 200 in place of the shaft/impeller I had requested. 😂. The end.

Last edited:
I believe Silicone Grease is the correct lubricant for the seals?
It is. However, I have asked Eheim directly and they said that using vaseline was acceptable too as the email below attests. Not sure what Oase would think about this since it will depend on the rubber they use for sealing the head of the canister.
Gesendet: Montag, 11. Januar 2021 10:03
An: EHEIM Info
Betreff: Information request

Hello,

What kind of grease do you recommend on your canister 2213 (classis 25) and on your Double tap with quick release coupling? Silicone or vaseline? If silicone, does it need to be food grade silicone?

Thank you.

With my best regards,
ANSWER:
Dear sir,
Thank you for your email enquiry.

You can use commercially available Vaseline or our care spray. The care spray is silicone-based and harmless to animals and plants.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Yours faithfully
Ihr EHEIM Service Team

EHEIM GmbH & Co.KG
Plochinger Str. 54
73779 Deizisau

Phone: 0049 (0)7153 7002-183
Fax: 0049 (0)7153 7002-111
Internet: www.eheim.com
E-Mail: eheim.service@eheim.com

Hi,
My bio master was off for sometime, and after rescaping my tank it started leaking. I can't diagnose the leak properly, but it comes from the lateral blue clips.
The lock/unlock switch of the taps always worked badly (always had to force it strongly to open). I contacted the vendor who told me I should lubricate the seals. I wonder if anyone experienced that?
What have you used to lubricate?

In my opinion, the bio master thermo is a good idea (integrating pre-filter and thermometer in one divide) but still badly engineered. It is noisy and the cleaning of the pre-filter still messy and not practical.
Meanwhile I returned to my old Eheim...
Cheers.
Although I have had a bad experience and made some negative comments about Aquael in the past, I have to say that so far the Ultramax 2000 has been reliable. For some period of time it was making some unpleasant noise among other things but it seems that with time they just disappeared. What I mostly like about that filter though is the very easy accessible pre-filter compartment which doesn't even require you stoping the canister. That is just awesome.

What I mostly like about that filter though is the very easy accessible pre-filter compartment which doesn't even require you stoping the canister.

That's a great design feature for that filter - if they'd have thought to include an integral heater, I'd had bought one of those to try.

I honestly don't know what is wrong with all of these filter manufacturers that, after all these years, can't seem to engineer a reliable leak free filter with an integral heater and an easily removable pre-filter. I haven't been able to find one yet! I mean the Oase Biomaster series are good with the integral standard type heater and pre-filter, but the pre-filter isn't 'easily removable' when its in a cabinet, and many people experience some sort of leaking (either water outwards, or air inwards) during use.

Last edited:
That's a great design feature for that filter - if they'd have thought to include an integral heater, I'd had bought on of those to try.

I honestly don't know what is wrong with al of these filter manufacturers that, after all these years, can't seem to engineer a reliable leak free filter with an integral heater and an easily removable pre-filter. I haven't been able to find one yet! I mean the Oase Biomaster series are good with the integral standard type heater and pre-filter, but the pre-filter isn't 'easily removable' when its in a cabinet, and many people experience some sort of leaking (either water outwards, or air inwards) during use.
Im still waiting for @dw1305 to release his "Pump In A Bucket".
I figure in order to avoid being mobbed by the part of the forum that likes prefilters, he will also have to include a "Pump In A Bucket Deluxe" in his product lineup.

Hi all,
Im still waiting for @dw1305 to release his "Pump In A Bucket".
I figure in order to avoid being mobbed by the part of the forum that likes prefilters, he will also have to include a "Pump In A Bucket Deluxe" in his product lineup.
Yes, I'm definitely going to build the hype up slowly for <"Pump in a Bucket">, before adding in lots of different <"variations on a theme">, <"James Dyson"> style.

Going <"too big, too early"> was the mistake with the Duckweed Index, that and not patenting a "new improved" duckweed.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I don’t know any different, but I could only assume that Oase is massively overrated for what they are and unfortunately just glorified by people within the hobby.

Hi @seedoubleyou

That's the result of employing Emotional engineers and Creative composers. Honestly. That's what it says on their website. So, it must be true:

JPC :lol:

Last edited:
I don’t know any different, but I could only assume that Oase is massively overrated for what they are and unfortunately just glorified by people within the hobby.
Shills. Shills all the way down.
Ever see one being used on any media? Then it’s safe to assume they’re shilling. Same goes for kessil fresh water… aquario too but I quiet like everything I’ve tried of theirs.

Shills. Shills all the way down.
Ever see one being used on any media? Then it’s safe to assume they’re shilling. Same goes for kessil fresh water… aquario too but I quiet like everything I’ve tried of theirs.
It’s why I don’t do social media. People are happy to sell their morals for a bit of sponsorship.
When I kept a reef tank, it always seemed that the “influencers” had the worst looking tanks, but companies didn’t care as they just pushed their products on others.
I much prefer forums where you can find honest opinion within most threads.

It’s why I don’t do social media. People are happy to sell their morals for a bit of sponsorship.
When I kept a reef tank, it always seemed that the “influencers” had the worst looking tanks, but companies didn’t care as they just pushed their products on others.
I much prefer forums where you can find honest opinion within most threads.
It’s been a bigger problem here in the past but we’re smaller now so we don’t get much traffic from those who go down that route.

Back