• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Betta Splenden looking sick

CrazyCory42

Hello,

I have a female betta in a community 100L tank and I’ve had her for about five months. She’s always been very bright and healthy. Until today. She’s sat at the top of the tank, looking very lethargic and not her happy self.

I’ve tested the water and it’s come back as normal; 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 40 nitrate (I know 40 is high but it’s always been like that because my tap water is high in nitrate).

I’m about to do a water change now anyway, just in case, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what might be going on or what else I can do to help her?

Tank Specs:
100L tank (36”L x 12”D x 15”H)
Fluval U4 Filter
24 - 25C
50% weekly water change (seachem prime)
Stocking:
1 female betta
6 harlequin Rasboras
10 false julii corys
30+ something RCS

Water quality
Ammonia 0
NO3 40 (Tap water sits at 40ppm)
NO2 0
GH 8
KH 6
pH 7.2
CI2 0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 759
Hi. If you dont get someone who comes along soon have a look online. I am sure there was something on youtube about Betta's from the lady that is linked to the Aquarium Co Op. Those guys know what they are talking about! You may find some info? good luck.

Thank you. I’ve done a water change but she doesn’t seem any better. She’s now sat at the bottom of the tank looking just as miserable :(

Attachments

• BFC00ECA-6916-4A25-AAF2-DC5CF61C35B4.jpeg
    BFC00ECA-6916-4A25-AAF2-DC5CF61C35B4.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 131
Is it possible she’s bloated? or egg bound?

Are her scales always that prominent?

You might try an Epsom salt bath - this page gives reasonable directions Salt Baths

Better photo and directions here Dropsy - Bettaboxx

As fish is in a community tank, it’s better to isolate her to minimize stress from other fish

Is it possible she’s bloated? or egg bound?

Are her scales always that prominent?
She’s perhaps a little bloated but I’ve seen her worse after scoffing down a shrimp. And I’m not sure about eggs. She’s not been around any males but I don’t know if that matters.

And yes, she’s always had beautiful black rims to her scales and fins.

I’m in complete shock. She’s dead. I don’t understand what happened or why it happened so fast. Did I do something wrong or miss something. She was completely fine yesterday.

I’d try the Epsom salt bath, this seems like a rapid onset and may just be a case of constipation - if you have something similar to a Lee’s Specimen Container (the large isn’t really “large” but is at least more reasonable than the smaller version), this can hang in tank so Betta temp is maintained

Obviously a hospital tank would be more ideal if you’re able to set one up (food safe bin, air driven sponge filter, heater)

So sorry to read the update - I wonder if she maybe hit the glass hard or was rammed by another fish
I doubt very much that her sudden illness and death reflect your care

If other fish were affected, it might be water quality related

Don’t take it personally
There can be lots of fish that can kill a fish
Environmental- your water parameters look good no obviously problems
Food - doesn’t look like she was bloated if you ignore the pattern
Egg bound - theres doesn’t need to be a make in the tank for her to produce eggs, just good water conditions and good food will do it, again she doesn’t look that big
Age- you don’t know how old she was
Disease - can’t see anything external
Fighting- can’t see anything
Stress - this can be a major contributor
Internal Parasite - possible
Genetics - Organ failure possible as you have no idea about her bloodline

So apart from possibly treatment for internal parasite there’s not much more you could of tried just by looking at her with nothing obviously wrong

It’s very good idea to have a small tank that you can put any sick fish in
Put temp up to 80
Keep water shallow - just enough so they can just lift their head to breath at the surface

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back