• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

betta I'd please

If you want any Bettas species in the future let me know I tranship every month

thanks I might take you up on that if I have any aggression issues with this little fella. do you have any opinion on him, guessing you know your bettas if your shipping them.

I would tend to agree with Lindy. This looks like a typical plakat that is traditionally used for fighting in Thailand.

I'd say a standard plakat i.e. One that is bred as a cheap pet trade grade fish so the wild colouring is standard for this grade of fish
Nothing to stop you enjoying him thought
Place a mirror in or next to the aquarium for 5-10 minutes each day this gives him something to take his aggression out on
Plenty in YouTube about this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say a standard plakat i.e. One that is bred as a cheap pet trade grade fish so the wild colouring is standard for this grade of fish
Nothing to stop you enjoying him thought
Place a mirror in or next to the aquarium for 5-10 minutes each day this gives him something to take his aggression out on
Plenty in YouTube about this

he's found his reflection on my background thinking maybe I should change it as he flares at it quite a lot. To be honest I'd happily pick him over a fancy betta

not saying any of you are wronge, but my lfs owner says 100% he's not a betta splenden plakat. he said splenden plakats are stockier and have a completely different head shape. he also said he thought it looked more like imbellis apart from the red lines on his beard.

:D

fish is not to breed or show standard for a plakat, but fish is also not unusual for a fish that may be culled out of a spawn ... as mentioned, there is a good deal of out-crossing that has occurred in B splendens line development.
Chances are if fish came off a B splendens farm/list (much more likely as from a big box shop) rather than B imbellis or assorted B species farm/list, it's predominantly B splendens :)

Additionally from Seriously Fish
This species (B imbellis) has been extensively line-bred for aggression in southern Thailand, where it is used in organised bouts in the same way as B. splendens elsewhere. It has also been selectively-bred for the ornamental trade, and hybridised with the congeners B. smaragdina, B. mahachaiensis, and B. splendens, leading to the development of a number of colour forms that do not occur naturally.

The fish in your picture looks like the one in my Avatar.

He was one of a batch of very pretty young females at MA about 10 years ago. I bought a group of 6.

As they grew the became very aggressive with a lot of flaring and posturing. At this point I realised they must be Plakat males and ended up with several more t:) anks and a split tank. Talk about multiple tank syndrome!

Couldn't keep even one of them in the main aquarium as they would hunt down smaller fish and...

Had a disaster with the split tank. One of the males jumped the divider and there was a nasty fight. They ripped each other to shreds :(

I tried keeping Amano shrimp with one of them. Was fine right up till the Amano shed his skin. I saw the last of him disappearing into a very smug Turquoise plakat :-/ Very expensive snacks !

They are beautiful fish and I spent ages photographing them.

Enjoy him for what he is - a real beauty and a great character

Ironically I've some "show" or "fancy" plakats & they are definitely not "fighter" lines, only 1 of 3 is "shrimp safe" but all 3 are fine with other fish & have even enjoyed (at least they appear unstressed ;)) some "group time" with other Bettas (90cm densely planted tank) - they investigate each other, spend a little time flaring, then mostly go off exploring
The only Betta I have who couldn't seem to relax with any other Betta is a dragonscale HM but he's generally fine with shrimp (ie no observed interest or apparent effect on shrimp population)

The fish in your picture looks like the one in my Avatar.

He was one of a batch of very pretty young females at MA about 10 years ago. I bought a group of 6.

As they grew the became very aggressive with a lot of flaring and posturing. At this point I realised they must be Plakat males and ended up with several more t:) anks and a split tank. Talk about multiple tank syndrome!

Couldn't keep even one of them in the main aquarium as they would hunt down smaller fish and...

Had a disaster with the split tank. One of the males jumped the divider and there was a nasty fight. They ripped each other to shreds :(

I tried keeping Amano shrimp with one of them. Was fine right up till the Amano shed his skin. I saw the last of him disappearing into a very smug Turquoise plakat :-/ Very expensive snacks !

They are beautiful fish and I spent ages photographing them.

Enjoy him for what he is - a real beauty and a great character

mines quite the opposite Im currently keeping him with a group of four endlers six cherry shrimp and a female betta ( I know bettas shouldn't be kept together but there's an empty tank waiting just incase) there hasn't been any aggression apart from the odd flare at each other.
he's been building bubble nest quite regularly but doesn't show the female any interest whatsoever, the tanks 120l and well planted so gives them space to have there own territory.
a couple days ago a female endler dropped some fry. the female betta went into full hunt mode but the male has been quite the opposite and has been actively gaurding some of the fry from the female betta.
guessing he thinks there his fry.:confused:

Awww that's really sweet :lol:

Hope he stays that way :)

Mine were all fine until they became adults, then it all changed.

Hopefully yours will stay fine ;)

Back