• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Betta and low Ph

LucaG

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone has any experience in keeping Betta splendens in planted tank with active substrate.
Ideal pH for this fish should be above 6.
My setup is: 30l nano cube, 3lt tropica active substrate pushing pH to 5.6 , TDS 134, GH 4, kh 2.

Water changes every week 10%

Any comment welcome.

Many thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I thought Betta were generally considered a blackwater fish, and did best in tanks with a lower TDS and pH. I would imagine your parameters are close to ideal, and the pH is likely to increase anyway once the buffering capacity of the soil starts to reduce (assuming you are not injecting CO2).

The only thing I would consider changing is the size of the tank.

Many thanks for your prompt answer,
I do not add co2 and chosen fairly quick growing easy plants.

Do you think the tank is too small for a Betta?
It would be the only fish present.

Do you think the tank is too small for a Betta?
It would be the only fish present.

I know some will disagree with me - and Betta are often a point of disagreement due to the way they have been traditionally kept - but I don't think 30 litres is really big enough for any fish long term - maybe for raising a few fry.

I tend to use Seriously Fish as a guide, which recommends 45 x 30 as a minimum for Betta - that's about 40 litres, which feels about right as a bare minimum, with perhaps a 60p (60 litres) being more ideal. I kept a beautiful blue Betta many years ago in a 260 litre community tank, and he was one of the most active swimmers in the tank utilising the entire space, and actively investigating every corner of the tank, so I don't really subscribe to the idea that Betta 'prefer' smaller tanks.

Thanks for your input, I would rethink my plan.
I tent to agree with you in principle, I planned this tank to be only for plants initially.
Would you look at invertebrates ( shrimps only as pH might ne too acid for snails) in the same way?

Thanks for your input, I would rethink my plan.
I tent to agree with you in principle, I planned this tank to be only for plants initially.
Would you look at invertebrates ( shrimps only as pH might ne too acid for snails) in the same way?

No, it would be fine for shrimp - your water parameters are fine for either Neocaridina and even the more fancy Caridina.

Back