• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best way of dissolving CO2?

Crossocheilus

I am wondering what is generally considered the best way to dissolve CO2 in the aquarium. I know a lot of people use inline atomisers, but it seems reactors, if made properly can achieve 100% dissolution. However these reactors are often large, difficult to perfect and can drastically reduce the flow output of external canister filters. So what method gives the best dissolution, but is also practical?

My only problem with the atomizer on intake pipe of the filter is that it will require very frequent cleaning.[DOUBLEPOST=1408300231][/DOUBLEPOST]Dunno Sacha, I'll probably be using a jbl e1501 greenline if anyone knows how that copes with cavitation.

Are there any filters that you can use an atomizer on the inlet with? Without cavitation?

As you know I am using the APS canster and no problems so far. I removed most of the media tho.

My only problem with the atomizer on intake pipe of the filter is that it will require very frequent cleaning.

I put sponge at start of the intel so hope thats helps a bit :)

Ok, well it will be 90 x 45 x 45cm so that's 180L and on start up using 2 39w T5s then possibly increasing to 3 tubes. So 180L medium-high light, EI dosing, want good growth preferably without the algae ;)

Last edited:
Yeah I've seen your reactor Foxfish and it looks good, however I did notice a lot of the people who attempted it struggled to dial it in, the balance between the bottle shape, co2 rate and flow rate seemed tricky. I know there won't be a perfect answer to co2 dissolution but your design, although effective once dialled in seems rather difficult to perfect and requires building + sourcing parts.

Fair comment...
In that case you are asking a difficult question!
If there was an ultimate method everybody would be using it!
20" tall reactors work well, very large externals with little media work well as do several of the micro bubble diffusers but, there is no one ultimate method that suits all .... as yet.....

Yes I suppose I am asking the question we all want the answer to, but reactors, if done well are generally better than atomizers? If so I suppose I've got several weeks before I get my tank so a bit of time to fiddle with a diy reactor. Thanks anyway Foxfish

No, reactors are not better that micro bubble devices, just two different methods.
It has been said that atomisers allow easier uptake for the plants but you have to suffer the visible bubbles.
Reactors don't produce the mist but are larger units & require setting up or fiddling with to get the best from them.
Large reactors are pretty fail safe but need to be outside of the tank cabinet.

Hmm well I thought plenty of people said they use less co2 with a reactor therefore dissolution is higher. By me saying "better" I suppose it was fairly ambiguous. I meant most efficient (least co2 required). I assume dissolved co2 is dissolved co2, with my gcse knowledge of plant biology I see no way in which micro bubbles are easier to absorb than fully dissolved co2. If that's completely wrong do tell me, its just what I would expect.

Micro bubbles offer direct contact of C02 not dissolved C02 to the plants surface, however that is just what you can read, not what I actually know!
Personally I don't see much significance regarding any saving in C02 between the two methods.
I am not really a fan of micro bubbles or the high working pressure required to operate inline atomisers but I have used them successfully.

Well it sounds like an atomizer would be a perfectly good place to start. If I get fed up of the bubbles I can look into alternatives, thanks for all the advice, you clearly know your stuff Foxfish ;)

Well it sounds like an atomizer would be a perfectly good place to start

Just one plus when you hook it to intel >>> your tank no longer looks like botlle of Coke :) Just saying :p[DOUBLEPOST=1408306772][/DOUBLEPOST]Actually thats plus for reactors as well :p

Connecting to inlet will not suit everyone, it depends on the amount of C02 your tank requires compared to the filter size, design, amount of media & flow rate.
The device needs to be serviced regularly to avoid dirt accumulating but the main disadvantage is an invisible build up of Co2 causing the filter to burp & purge pockets of stored gas into the tank.
It does work very well for some people but many others have issues!

My setup is slightly different to the design from Foxfish. I use an inline atomiser on my canister outlet and I have plumbed in a large 20" reactor after it. My down tube is just 40mm piping jammed onto the housing lid outlet and siliconed in place with a couple of close fitting sponges on the outside of it. I've used Eheim double taps so I can isolate the unit for cleaning.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7262/13903132322_16f1cf3da6_b.jpg

Cleaning is done by isolating the unit and letting out some water and holding it in my arms to give it a shake from side to side to slosh the water around inside dislodging any debris build up in the sponges (it's not actually as heavy as it looks), it's then just a case of emptying by running clean water through in the reverse direction so all the debris gets flushed up the down pipe and out. Fill with clean water and reconnect to the system, easy! I only need to do this every few months, I dare say I could do without the sponges but I feel the bottom sponge at least helps trap the co2 as it emerges from the down pipe slowing it down enough to let it dissolve in the water, there are no bubbles above the bottom sponge but bubbles do emerge from the down pipe.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3779/13903153192_194f439d02_z.jpg

100% dissolution, no gas build up when running and if there is reduction in flow it's minimal.

:)

The use of sponges seems a good idea, perhaps allowing the unit to be made smaller and simpler, but achieving the same result, the same principle can be used by running co2 into the filter as mentioned above. Thanks x3nith for another great idea, I'll have to just experiment until I find a solution that I am happy with.

Back