• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

best timer for solenoid?

hwscot

Apologies for a very basic question. Have just started proper CO2 (CO2 Art Pro). Looking for a good timer.

Have tried many in the past for various things. Can't abide the digital ones where you're pressing odd sequences of buttons to set times and can't see at a glance what times are set. If you go to reset it after a while and you've forgotten how to set it and you've lost the instructions ...

Just want something that is very simple to set and see-at-a-glance. Probably mechanical, although if anyone does do a digital which is ultra-obvious to use and see-at-a-glance would consider.

What do you all use?

Hiya, I run 2 CO2 art solenoids with TP link tapo smart plugs, fairly easy to set up and control via the app.
Been using them for over a year and so far no issues whatsoever.

Amazon product ASIN B07Z942YWS

Screenshot_20220625-130703_Tapo.jpg

Screenshot_20220625-130638_Tapo.jpg

I have tried several digital timers and didn't like them. Digital are not user friendly to program nor easy to read what has been programmed. I replaced all my timers with old style mechanical timers that use pins to set time. Even though mechanical tend to lose and gain time slowly, recalibrating the time is as simple as turning the wheel forward or backward, far easier than digital that require pushing many buttons and reading the menu.

1656167963657.png

KASA smart plugs. I’ve never found a reliable timer until I tried these WiFi plugs. The options are endless for programming them and they are so easy and reliable. My only positive experience is with the KASA brand. I have a WiFi controlled power strip and I love it.

Thanks, everyone.
Hiya, I run 2 CO2 art solenoids with TP link tapo smart plugs, fairly easy to set up and control via the app.
That looks as if I could just about cope with it. Instinctively seems the easier of the two smart plugs.
I like these , simple but not the cheapest at £8. Fine as long as you do not loose the pins
That's the one I used back in the day, c. 20 years ago. Didn't realise they were still available.
Decisions.

How to use a PLC to control your fish tank.

Best timer decision I ever made after repeated failure of digital timers and failure of remote controlled timers.

This has been 100% reliable. Been running same code for 6 years now.

Do need to fix a spelling mistake and the fact the hours run time rolls over to zero every 3.5 years (32768 hours !!).

Amazon product ASIN B07Z942YWS

View attachment 190326

View attachment 190327

+1 for the TP -Link Tapo units - I've got loads of them now, and use them on most of my kit. It's far easier to re-program from the comfort of my sofa than crawling around underneath the tank - they're great for filters too so you can turn on and off from your phone during feeding etc, and set scheduled 'on' settings in case you forget to turn the filter back on manually.

Hi all,
I like these , simple but not the cheapest at £8. Fine as long as you do not loose the pins
I just use the type that plug in and have segments that you either pull out or push in.
I replaced all my timers with old style mechanical timers that use pins to set time
I'm a <"mechanical, analogue timer fan as well">. You can buy better quality ones for use with Metal Halide lamps etc. I'm still <"using these ones"> bought in 2008, although I no longer use the HPS grow lamps.

cheers Darrel

Back