• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Best Filter Media

Tom72

Hi Folks, after watching a green aqua post on filtration it has made me realise that my external filter is not performing as well as it could. I have been using lava and a mix of bits and bats. I think this is the problem and want to replace with a very Porous ceramic media. Looking on line it’s hard to see how rough/smooth the media is. Please can anyone recommend the best products. Ideally ones that redo not have to be replaced regularly (matrix)

hypnogogia

I hear that pot scrubbers are very good as biological media. Lots of people use 20ppi Ms 30ppi foam. Expesmive ceramic or sintered glass isn’t necessary. Perhaps look at this thread.

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
What @hypnogogia says.

As you'll see from the <"linked thread"> opinions differ, but I have a <"real problem with the "Pondguru">, <"the purveyor of Biohome">.
....... Marketing departments are extremely effective at writing very convincing science fiction, shooting down the cheap alternative and promoting the very expensive alternative. They are also very good at making charlatan YouTube videos.

This paper was sent to the “Pondguru”, a British distributor of Biohome who has a YouTube channel which seems to be the “bible” for some folks. Note this YouTube channel got a 1% accuracy rating from the author and that was generous. The “Pondguru” YouTube videos on Biohome are two ten minute rambles about how Biohome “duplicates Nature” in the aquarium. No testing. No real science. Nothing! Pure snake oil salesmanship!

The best the replies from the Pondguru and the “manufacturer” could do defending their product was to say they has many anecdotal stories from users of their products where the product worked as advertised. They did not provide ANY studies from anyone which showed their product worked........The Pondguru than makes the incredulous statement that anecdotal evidence is more reliable than scientific experimentation. ......
He also says, on <"his website">,
Please note: Tanks with heavy stock and feeding (e.g. cichlid, goldfish, predator or fry tanks) and marine tanks may require 1.5kg - 2kg per 100 litres to achieve the full cycle filtration which will result in the reduction of nitrates. Do not worry about plant growth being affected in a tank which reads zero nitrates - the nitrate is processed into soluble nitrogen which is easily used by plants, boosting their growth.
So not only economical with the truth, but also, apparently unaware, of how the nitrogen cycle actually works.
Ideally ones that redo not have to be replaced regularly (matrix)
That is another <"fib by Seachem">, Matrix is <"pumice"> and good <"for all of eternity">.

cheers Darrel

dean

Totally agree with the above posts

You need to decide how much you want to be sold an idea
Simple gravel works as a medium after all there wasn’t much else around 50 years ago and fish were happy and bred

I personally like foam as it’s cheap comes in various grades very easy to cut to fit any filter and so easy to clean so it gets my vote

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My favourite (it came with my filter) is Sera Siporax. It’s sintered glass and seems to have a large surface area. Not cheap but I’d probably buy some more if I needed it. The Ceramic tubes are said to be a poor alternative.