• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best Diffuser?

Claire

Hi all,

I'm currently using a cheapo hong kong standard glass diffuser in my 35l, but it seems to only produce bubbles in the middle of the disk and some bubbles are quite big. I was wondering if people could suggest what they find the best method of diffusion and what kind they use? I can't adjust working pressure on my reg, so I'm not sure which will work and which won't. I'm not really fussy whether internal or in line, as long as it works! There seems to be many different kinds of external ones, like these:
$(KGrHqRHJBQFG-RRd8sEBRz6+C7hY!~~60_58.JPG

or these:
$(KGrHqFHJEwFGTdvsbEfBRtlGcyV+g~~60_57.JPG

or these, which I have used on another tank before with some success:
$T2eC16VHJFwFF,De2d1RBRzz,T6r!w~~60_57.JPG

or these:
$(KGrHqJ,!r!FEzmPkg,EBRgSYndVjw~~60_57.JPG

And then for internal ones, there's the normal glass ones (likely neutro), the fluval ceramic disks or the easy aqua atomisers… Ahh! Too much choice haha :p
Any help appreciated!!

Attachments

• $(KGrHqRHJBQFG-RRd8sEBRz6+C7hY!~~60_58.JPG
    $(KGrHqRHJBQFG-RRd8sEBRz6+C7hY!~~60_58.JPG
    1.3 KB · Views: 135
  • $(KGrHqFHJEwFGTdvsbEfBRtlGcyV+g~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqFHJEwFGTdvsbEfBRtlGcyV+g~~60_57.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 896
  • $T2eC16VHJFwFF,De2d1RBRzz,T6r!w~~60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16VHJFwFF,De2d1RBRzz,T6r!w~~60_57.JPG
    1.3 KB · Views: 128
  • $(KGrHqJ,!r!FEzmPkg,EBRgSYndVjw~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqJ,!r!FEzmPkg,EBRgSYndVjw~~60_57.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 223
Or this?!
$T2eC16FHJGQFFh1eSC6yBSSVkKeznQ~~60_58.JPG

Attachments

• $T2eC16FHJGQFFh1eSC6yBSSVkKeznQ~~60_58.JPG
    $T2eC16FHJGQFFh1eSC6yBSSVkKeznQ~~60_58.JPG
    1.3 KB · Views: 138
And this is pretty…
$(KGrHqRHJC!FI7cCKQpBBSY5SoI08w~~60_12.JPG

Attachments

• $(KGrHqRHJC!FI7cCKQpBBSY5SoI08w~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqRHJC!FI7cCKQpBBSY5SoI08w~~60_12.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 209
What shape is your tank? I'm using a Fluval ceramic in my 35L Arc, and it works well. No fuss or faff with pipes when it needs cleaning etc.

Hi Claire,
I have found that quite a lot of diffusers end up just producing large bubbles which get to the top before dissolving - I have tried a few - but like this one "Easy Aqua Super Mist Atomiser" from Aqua essentials you have to have pressurized CO2 that you can crank up higher than for other diffusers, and also the higher pressure"Easy Aqua Double Check Valve" - they screw on which is great -but check all you connections as if they are not tight they have a tendency to blow the pipes off !!;) I have put mine under my inlet pipe for my filter (an idea that I got from here) which means that the filter helps to "mix" the CO2 even better - not as pretty as the bubble checkers but a lot more effective! Quite a few people recommend the in line diffusers which are also on AE ,but I couldnt afford them at the time ,and this has worked out well

Cherry

I tried putting my diffuser under the inlet for my filter and it just resulted in my filter (eheim 2213) getting full of gas and not working properly :( And since I can't adjust pressure on my reg then I guess the atomisers won't work?

Interesting thread, I would also like to know. I only have 2x internal filters in my tank, and an not external.

So I've always had to stick with in tank diffusers. I am currently using a Rhinox 5000, Its not as good as I thought it would be. It does work great for a day or 2 after cleaning with bleach then it get's clogged and the mist then goes to bubbles and they slowly get larger. So would be interesting to see what other people say.

If I had the money I would buy this, + its from the usa.

They say that's at only 1-2bps :O

If you can use inline, I guess that's the best way to go, I feel like I'm the only person on here who uses a ceramic diffuser, but yet I've never asked everyone lol, but the amazing plant pictures on here all seem to be from people with tanks that have inline diffusers. :( I presume its harder to achieve constant CO2 with ceramic diffusers as each bubble can change size in minutes, and not each one dissolves.

Last edited:
Interesting thread, I would also like to know. I only have 2x internal filters in my tank, and an not external.

So I've always had to stick with in tank diffusers. I am currently using a Rhinox 5000, Its not as good as I thought it would be. It does work great for a day or 2 after cleaning with bleach then it get's clogged and the mist then goes to bubbles and they slowly get larger. So would be interesting to see what other people say.

If I had the money I would buy this, + its from the usa.

They say that's at only 1-2bps :O

If you can use inline, I guess that's the best way to go, I feel like I'm the only person on here who uses a ceramic diffuser, but yet I've never asked everyone lol, but the amazing plant pictures on here all seem to be from people with tanks that have inline diffusers. :( I presume its harder to achieve constant CO2 with ceramic diffusers as each bubble can change size in minutes, and not each one dissolves.

You can use an atomiser like that as long as your regulator has adjustable working pressure, similar atomisers are available from aqua essentials.

Interesting stuff, I did look at a bazooka in tank diffuser, but I just purchased the Rhinox 5000 mostly from research/reviews I did on it seemed good which was quite a few months back.

My regulator cant be adjusted but its at 40psi fixed, which is like 2.7 bar? so I think my regulator could run most things, or even if the pressure builds it should produce enough pressure to work.

I will have a look around on Aqua essentials, Are these Bazooka Atomisers not just made out of the same stuff as a ceramic diffuser? They look similar.

Anyway I don't want to hi-jack anyone's thread, but thanks for making it Claire, hopefully I can also take some good advice away as I really want to improve my CO2 distribution. :thumbup: :D

Jafooli - look at my answer to Claire - they are called Easy Aqua Super Mist Atomiser and I think they are metal rather than ceramic. You will need to have an Easy Aqua Double Check Valve as the pressure is too much .I run mine at 2.5 bar (and I run it under the inlet pipe )
Claire, I guess if cant adjust you wont be able to run one :( - I think it works with my filter (Fluval 406 because the bubbles are so small.
I find the same problem as everyone else with ceramics - they are lovely for a a week a so ,then they just seem to produce a single line of bigger bubbles
There is someone selling there pressurised system Claire for an excellent price on the sale page:thumbup:

The easy aqua are ceramic. I have also used these about they are ok, they just last to long before the seals go. This is when they will produce lager bubbles.

The bazooka is a better construction IMO. I used one for a few months with no problem, when I only got a month out of an easy aqua one.

The bazooka is also surprisingly cheaper!

Cheers Cherry and Ian,

I took a look at the Easy Aqua Super Mist Atomiser & Easy Aqua Double Check Valve. If the whole system will become more pressurised am I still going to be able to use my Mini Up bubble counter or is the CO2 tubing go to blow of it lol?

If they only last a month then I would rather avoid the Atomiser, so how is yours holding up Cherry?

Also Ian is there any Bazooka you could specifically recommend? brand? I'm not sure if any sponsors sell any? Hope you can let me know.

Just to also add I'm running my CO2 a little less at 1BPS, do these Atomisers and Bazooka's require a faster bubble rate also? or will the pressure just build? ...

Also I'm confused as if someone can't adjust there psi/bar like Claire for example, would the pressure not just build up in the tubing until there was another pressure for a diffuser etc to then start working, that's why I've never really worried but yet again my regulator is set quite high.

The 'real' bazooka link is up there ^^^

You'll find that you won't need more than 1-2 bps with an atomiser.

Interesting thread guys, don't worry about hijacking! Any input is welcomed!
I've ordered a fluval disk one for now to see how it is, but may also try a badooka at some point to see the difference :) How many is too many? Haha

Back