• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best custom tank builders UK?

Aquariums 4 life is one of the companies I know who builds quality aquariums.

Good to know. I've had a reply from them, so I'm just waiting for a quote! If I do get to buy a new aquarium (providing I get a green light from 'she who shall be obeyed') it will likely be the last one I ever buy, so I want it to last and be top notch quality.

I spoke with Ian and Lucy at A4L about a year ago about getting a custom 600mm shallow tank made and at the time they were only really geared up for big tanks as the minimum glass they had available was 10mm thick

They said it raised a valid point in their offerings for smaller tanks and they would be looking to possibly remedy this but not sure if that has happened or not so would be interesting to hear, but even at 10mm glass the price was very reasonable

I spoke with Ian and Lucy at A4L about a year ago about getting a custom 600mm shallow tank made and at the time they were only really geared up for big tanks as the minimum glass they had available was 10mm thick

They said it raised a valid point in their offerings for smaller tanks and they would be looking to possibly remedy this but not sure if that has happened or not so would be interesting to hear, but even at 10mm glass the price was very reasonable

For what it's worth I first visited their place to check out the build quality about 18 months ago but for one reason or another I didn't get round to ordering a tank until about 3-4 months ago, my fault not theirs. When I went to collect the tank a few weeks ago their build area had over doubled and they definitely do glass thinner than 10mm now. They've also invested in more kit, which makes the polished edges look incredible - I can't remember what it was called though

Will measure it when i get home and its all 12mm optiwhite.

Thanks. Sorry, I just thought the Optiwhite was optically clear all the way through when view from the edge (I've not seen one in person), like this (upper is float, lower is Optiwhite):

52dd30c27c03dc473a2336910ffba13d.jpg

Do you mind me asking what they charged you for the tank element (excluding the cabinet)?

Last edited:
These are phenominal quality aquariums; I had one for my reef aquarium a few years back with mitred corners and Eurobrace but they are very expensive and seem to have just got more so. Better suited to big custom jobs. Be interested to hear a price you get and what it's for (check about delivery and VAT too)

Well, Aquarium Connections are out of the running for me. They wanted £2,200 for a 1200mm in 15mm and £3,000 for a 1500mm in 19mm :eek::eek::eek:

(And that was for the base in float glass - I know it doesn't matter (its the base and it's covered after all), but don't most optiwhite tanks use optiwhite throughout?

Just waiting to hear from A4L

Do you mind me asking what they charged you for the tank element (excluding the cabinet)?
I was a tad lucky to win the tank and cabinet on ebay a few weeks ago for the grand sum of £255, and credit for A4L honouring the price instead of cancelling it.
Will do a full review over xmas but wont be able to put water in it just yet because of work commitments.

I was a tad lucky to win the tank and cabinet on ebay a few weeks ago for the grand sum of £255, and credit for A4L honouring the price instead of cancelling it.
Will do a full review over xmas but wont be able to put water in it just yet because of work commitments.

Wow! Congrats to you man - bargain of the year right there!

I just thought the Optiwhite was optically clear all the way through when view from the edge
Yes you are right there but the photo is looking down at the tank through the full width of glass and it will take colours etc from the room and show a little colour and as you can see from the full tank shot it is clear.

They've also invested in more kit, which makes the polished edges look incredible - I can't remember what it was called though
'Cerium polished' is what they refer to it as.
What thickness is that silicone joint? Looks fairly thick
Remember this is quite close up and the glass has a chamfered edge, if the glass is 12mm I doubt the main silicone joint would be anymore than 2mm which is quite minimal.
I just thought the Optiwhite was optically clear all the way through when view from the edge
This isn't really the case with an aquarium as form an edge you are then looking through a piece of glass the width/depth/height of your aquarium e.g. 600mm instead of of 10mm and even if it's polished the edge isn't really designed for viewing anything through and why would you need to so no benefit. Optiwhite is just a name for low iron glass so is 'clearer'
(And that was for the base in float glass - I know it doesn't matter (its the base and it's covered after all), but don't most optiwhite tanks use optiwhite throughout?
I don't think anyone really would pay the extra for optiwhite as a base as there's simply no need; you don't view anything through it and it just scratches far easier.
I had one for my reef aquarium a few years back with mitred corners and Eurobrace but they are very expensive and seem to have just got more so. Better suited to big custom jobs. Be interested to hear a price you get and what it's for (check about delivery and VAT too)
Well, Aquarium Connections are out of the running for me. They wanted £2,200 for a 1200mm in 15mm and £3,000 for a 1500mm in 19mm
Did you ask about VAT and delivery? ;)

Back