• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Beneficial snails for the planted tank

EA James

Hi all,

After a recent post of mine and being recommended malaysian trumpet snails for sand turnover i was wondering, What other snails can i add to help with a bit of unreachable cleaning and general maintenance?
I already have a few assassins and horned nerites, Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Ramshorns. Very good at cleaning, especially the smaller ones. Constantly grazing on biofilm and reproduce easily, but not over the top in my experience. Can get some decent looking colours too.
Aren't your assassins attacking the trumpets?

Aren't your assassins attacking the trumpets?
Sorry i think I've worded that wrong, I haven't actually got the snails yet. I was going to look into getting some soon but maybe not just yet now!

I’d have thought the Assassins would wipe out any other snails you add.
They haven't got hold of any of the nerites yet and they've been in the tank about a year i guess. I thought the assassins would only pick off small pest snails 🤦‍♂️

Cheers

I've never kept assassins but I'd probably be a little wary keeping them with any form of snail. I'm sure someone else can help but I always saw them as a solution to a snail problem if you like.

+1 another for Ramshorns. They are great additions and as advised don't overpopulate easily. Take care of any left overs and graze all the time. They will also dispose of shrimp molts for you.
I have added some blue pearl recently to the main tank. And want to add Blue Leopards and Galaxy Pink.

Assasins are for problem population control and will go after all snails in the tank. And also take anything sickly shrimp wise.

One thing with ramshorns is I've found they stay very small, as in 5 can fit on an algae wafer, with co2 injected water, but grow quite large in non co2. Which is a bit of a pain when I come to replace my sand and its full of tiny snails.

I have added some blue pearl recently to the main tank. And want to add Blue Leopards and Galaxy Pink.
ooo these sound interesting! Where do you source your snails from mate?
Looks like the assassins need to go, I'm setting up a small 25L for a QT tank so they can go in there

One thing with ramshorns is I've found they stay very small, as in 5 can fit on an algae wafer, with co2 injected water, but grow quite large in non co2. Which is a bit of a pain when I come to replace my sand and its full of tiny snails.
Mines a high tech tank so looks like mine will be small!!

Cheers guys :)

I used to have Nerites but I couldn't stand the little white eggs being laid everywher. They're not easy to remove either!
Yes!! I feel your pain! I have some horned nerites and they have laid loads of eggs on my black lava rock so it sticks out like a sore thumb :mad: so annoying!! I was thinking about taking them out and jet washing them to see if that works?!
The rocks i mean not the snails 😂

Back