• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Beginner fert help please...

Rotala looks perfect to me, plants have different forms to adapt to conditions.
Roger. I wasn't sure if it's just adapting as it was only planted like 10 days ago or if it was a deficiency as I have been reading a bunch of threads about Nitrogen deficiency in Rotala and short fat new growth seams to be a symptom. Ok, sounds like maybe i had better give it some time. Thanks.
I can’t see much wrong with the hygrophila either, I think you’re fine. A top down shot for the hygro may help.
It's extremely hard to get an accurate pic. The tops of all of the new growth are white or almost transparent in spots. I circled one of the bad spots that I can get to show on camera...
Screenshot_20221014-140612_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221014-140640_Gallery.jpg

Thank you for your help👍.

It's extremely hard to get an accurate pic. The tops of all of the new growth are white or almost transparent in spots. I circled one of the bad spots that I can get to show on camera...
I’d still let it sit for a while, new growth should be better. Wait a month maybe.
For your high tech tank I think a journal would be great!

I’d still let it sit for a while, new growth should be better. Wait a month maybe.
Lol, I may be an idiot. Here is a pic from the top down. It appears the white is only in the bottom of the leaves(I'm guessing a natural trait of Hygrophilia?). Just trying to be on top of things😁. Thanks for your help👍. Will do.
20221014_143427.jpg

I'm going to top it today and replant as it's reached the surface anyway.
For your high tech tank I think a journal would be great!
Definitely going to do one for my big tank build but, considering it won't be ready for a couple of months, I'm thinking I should start one for this tank as well to help me learn. I am currently propagating several species to cut down on the cost of plants and mostly to learn how to grow them lol. Fun stuff...

Lol, I may be an idiot. Here is a pic from the top down. It appears the white is only in the bottom of the leaves(I'm guessing a natural trait of Hygrophilia?). Just trying to be on top of things😁. Thanks for your help👍. Will do.
View attachment 195727
I'm going to top it today and replant as it's reached the surface anyway.

Definitely going to do one for my big tank build but, considering it won't be ready for a couple of months, I'm thinking I should start one for this tank as well to help me learn. I am currently propagating several species to cut down on the cost of plants and mostly to learn how to grow them lol. Fun stuff...
Yep, they look fine haha

There, maintenance done. Topped both the Hygrophilia Difformis and the Rotala Green, removed old bottoms, and replanted. She looks a little bare now but, it will grow back fast and the Rotala Green should do better now. Had some melting of my Helanthium Tenellus Green so I cleaned and added root tabs underneath. Definitely got at least 2 kinds of algae growing. I have upped my husbandry, lowered lighting duration and intensity, and started adding Seachem Excel yesterday. Hopefully I can get it under control before it gets out of hand. I was doing fine until the Helanthium Tenellus started to die and I think that caused the algae outbreak. That and my dumb a** upping lighting intensity... Lesson learned. Let it be until its stable and then up the lighting.
20221014_160200.jpg

20221014_160211.jpg

20221014_160223.jpg

If those details in the picture are hairlike things along the body then definitely detritus worms
They are so small I can't tell much better then the pic(I need to get a magnifying glass) but, I'm pretty sure they are detritus worms. I lowered my Bettas feeding portions a few days to a week ago when I lowered the lighting so they should reduce in numbers in time. I also left the side glass last water change/maintenance day in an effort to leave more food for my Nerite Snail but, I think that was a mistake and will probably go back to just leaving the back glass and cleaning the sides and front every week. I'm fighting a hair algae outbreak as well but, I think it's partly just the tank maturing.

Back