• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Been a while since.

sorriest attempt at a scape ever, I defy anyone to challenge my prowess in that field lol

Been thinking of this, and Why not Try something different. Why not have a Competition for A Planted tank with only artificial plants and resin hardscape. I think that is a challenge.

Gill said:
Actually this sounds like a very good comp idea lol. Seems more fun than the uasual.

Let me get this right...youd like to see a comp based on the concept of the worst tank ever?....

o_O mmm...is this what the hobby needs? It may make UKAPS look a bit 'pony'

and on a public stage...

Mark Evans said:
Gill said:
Actually this sounds like a very good comp idea lol. Seems more fun than the uasual.

Let me get this right...youd like to see a comp based on the concept of the worst tank ever?....

o_O mmm...is this what the hobby needs? It may make UKAPS look a bit 'pony'

and on a public stage...

Lol, More Corny, Like Can You Make those Flourescent Ornaments Look Good. Or those Bubble ornaments etc

another suggestion....

zero hardscape. (decorative sand and graded gravels allowed)

make one species of plant the focal point of the scape. other species of plant allowed to "bed in" the focal plant.

extra merit goes to fully grown out focal plants. ie big interesting crypt or swords etc.

- bringing the P back into UKAPS :)

hijac said:
another suggestion....

zero hardscape. (decorative sand and graded gravels allowed)

make one species of plant the focal point of the scape. other species of plant allowed to "bed in" the focal plant.

extra merit goes to fully grown out focal plants. ie big interesting crypt or swords etc.

- bringing the P back into UKAPS :)

Good shout.

Just one species will not work.
Why to think of something different at all if there were not even a normal competition in uk yet?
Why to start with the limits?

Hmm competition. Count me in hehe.

Perhaps 1 way to go could fall into tank size. 20 or 30cm cubes seem popular as most tend to have them. Running with the same tank dimensions ensures all have the same area to play with.

Either way, any comp, I'm in :D

Piece-of-fish said:
Just one species will not work.
Why to think of something different at all if there were not even a normal competition in uk yet?
Why to start with the limits?

Good point

I think the only problem I see is people that havnt got a spare tank or space to set up another/ reshape existing tank.
There should be a yearly ukaps comp, that would be good.
Or every 6months?

Just throwing some ideas out there lol someone run with it :)

There should be a yearly ukaps comp, that would be good.
Or every 6months?

This i agree, doesn't seem to be much in the way of getting the community to be a whole and have a laugh or even friendly compete.

Hasn't this site got sponsors?.... would be a nice idea to have the sponsors involved with a prize... they may pay for the privilege of being a sponsor but some of these sites are very successful businesses... Aquajardin, AE, TGM..... they often post about newly stocked/in items.... why not ask for a little more from them in the way of support?.... would always be good advertisement to boot.

The prize doesn't have to be £100's worth of items either.... even a £5-£10 item/ gift voucher etc would be an incentive to most i would imagine?.

This way you could have a proper 6 monthly/yearly competition.... gives plenty of time for people to organise and grow there tanks. The winner could also have it's own page for a write up of how it was created.. like the 'feature scape' page for the duration till the next comp.

This site (as much as i do enjoy being apart), seems to ask alot from it's members..ie donations etc etc (which is not a bad thing)... but seems to not give anything back in the way of thanks (so to speak) or incentives.

Nobody take this as a dig to the forum lol.... not how it was meant... as most will agree the forum is actually very good. Just some incentives for long standing and new members alike could be a very attractive thing.

Clearly we need an emersed scape competition, what with it's rising popularity.

The guidelines needn't be strict, that way people can add their own twist or interpretation, as long as the scape has elements of emersed growth. You could make a full emersed tank, wabi kusa, riparium, a bowl.......lots of scope for different ideas.

Back