• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BBA

Carpman

Is there a simple cure?
I have removed it when doing my water changes but a day or so later its back again.
The first time it started to appear was after I had turned off the Co² and the lights, this was after I had finished my fishless/plantless cycling (didn't think there was any point in wasting the co²).
The tank is newly planted (1wk) current setup is Trigon 190 with Eheim 350 pro4 inline set at 25°, Co² running approx 2bps, photo period is 5 hrs with 2x28w T5no's with reflectors. I will be increasing my flow this wk with a Koralia Nano 2200.

I've been wanting to start this fire for a while... note that I have no experience with this, I've just made some research...

Trace detox... some people say that cutting traces (aka micro nutrients) for a few days and then dosing really small amounts, do wonders on BBA... let the fireworks begin! :twisted:

No secret but time and patience. Find the right balance for growth for your other plants and bba will die as a result due to the efficiencies of your other plants using what's available and leaving nothing left. That's what worked for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low O2 level's and or organic matter in possible excess is when I experience the stuff.
Keeping my filter's cleaned monthly seems to help with both issues.
Also noted that when I run KNO3 lean,that the stuff more readily appears. (not sure of correlation)

Hi Carpman, Spot dosing the Algae with Excel or carbo works too.The algae will go a light colour then die off ;)

Thanks everyone. I have upped my Co² to approx 172bpm to see how this affects it over next few days as the tank is still fishless.

Could I run my Co² 24/7 for a few days ?
Will the bba not return when I return to normal levels ?
How to I find out my Co² ppm (my tester JBLPro scan measures in mg/l) ?
Forgot to mention that I am feeding with TNC complete at 3mls daily, reccomendation on bottle is to feed 20ml weekly will this make any difference ?

You technically could - but I think we all have to realize that algae will always be part of a planted tank. You'll never get rid of it, only minimize it. IMO, adding CO2 on for 24hrs will not really help because there is an imbalance of some sort - and that imbalance will remain once again even after you revert back to normal CO2 durations. I am going to the ADA NA Gallery next year - and I'm going to inspect the tank closely to see if I can find any algae and whatnot (to see if it's true that even an expert's tank can have algae). But unless you've devoted your life's work trying to figure out this balance (like Amano has), it will take a lot of effort. No easy fix - just persistence and logic =).

Your best bet is to figure out the imbalance (may take some time, I'm still trying to figure it out) and tackle it like that. Perhaps your CO2 levels are sufficient but you don't have enough plant mass to support the lighting you have despite the lower light duration. Then I would lower intensity/remove the reflectors and monitor after a week. See what happens, if this helps - then you know that the light is too strong. Then what you do is lower the light intensity/duration even a bit more, and see what happens after a week. Or you could also add more plants and then see what happens the next week. If it looks good - but you still have some algae left, then try to lower your dosing regimen. Then monitor after a week and see what happens. Algae will always be present, but how much you see will be dependent on how diligent you are to finding the right balance.

Last edited:
No secret but time and patience. Find the right balance for growth for your other plants and bba will die as a result due to the efficiencies of your other plants using what's available and leaving nothing left. That's what worked for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

I know black beard algae suppose to be black grey in color, is there anything like green beard algae? Similar to bba, but color green

Black-Beard Algae (BBA), Red-Brush Algae
Taken from....https://ukaps.org/forum/threads/good-algae-article.905/

bbaco2.jpg

Unstable CO2 levels will induce BBA!
The best way to combat Brush algae is by maintaining CO2 at 30ppm, nitrates at 15ppm and phosphates at 0.5ppm.
Leaves that are badly overtaken should be discarded.
When I had a problem with BBA, I dosed 1ml per 50 litres of Easy Carbo (equivalent to Flourish Excel) every other day for a week. The algae turned purplish/pinkish and disappeared.
Maintaining sufficient CO2 level and is the best way in controlling this algae.
Siamese Algae Eater will eat BBA.
Photo by Dusko Bojic.

Last edited:

View attachment 95011
The best way to combat Brush algae is by maintaining CO2 at 30ppm, nitrates at 15ppm and phosphates at 0.5ppm.
When I had a problem with BBA, I dosed 1ml per 50 litres of Easy Carbo (equivalent to Flourish Excel) every other day for a week. The algae turned purplish/pinkish and disappeared.
Photo by Dusko Bojic.
Was this in conjunction with co2 injection. I've just started to easycarbo some bba.

View attachment 95011
Photo by Dusko Bojic.

I have upped my Co² dosage to about 4bps approx 20mg/l (sorry dont know how to convert to ppm) gas starts and finishes 1hr before photo period which is 5hrs. Are you say this needs to be on 24/7 ?
The bba only seems to be appearing in 1 loacation on the wood, I clean this with a toothbrush during water changes.
I cant reduce my nitrates (norm is around 50ppm) at the moment because of water changes and its 40ppm from the tap.

I have now introduced a few Amano shrimp in the hope that they will help.
My next step will be either easy carbo or flourish excel and spot dose.

I have upped my Co² dosage to about 4bps approx 20mg/l (sorry dont know how to convert to ppm) gas starts and finishes 1hr before photo period which is 5hrs. Are you say this needs to be on 24/7 ?
The bba only seems to be appearing in 1 loacation on the wood, I clean this with a toothbrush during water changes.
I cant reduce my nitrates (norm is around 50ppm) at the moment because of water changes and its 40ppm from the tap.

I have now introduced a few Amano shrimp in the hope that they will help.
My next step will be either easy carbo or flourish excel and spot dose.
20mg/l equal to 20ppm
Please do not use brush to remove as pieces of bba may take hold on other part and grow. Use excel or h2o2 instead. Use syringe to spot treat.
If your pipe water is high in nitrate, then no need to dose kno3, dose k2so4 for potassium if you didn't dosed it before.
Amano won't eat bba. If I'm not mistaken

As I've not heard or read about this, long story short, after putting my fish in their new home 1 of my angels eat all my algae fish in question is below center.
What%20a%20mess.jpg

Hi all,
1 of my angels eat all my algae fish in question is below center.
During my LFS visit I spotted some Oto's which I've heard about here while talking to staff he mentions gold sucking loach's, thanks to LFS I come away with 6 loach and 3 oto's.
Did the Angel eat your loaches and Otocinclus? or did it eat the BBA?

I think the <"Loaches"> get quite territorial as they grow.

cheers Darrel

Excuse my poor grammar. When I transfered my old stock fish to their new home (trigon 190) 1 of the angels eat all the BBA, the angel in question is pictured above (left of center).

Love it! It must have been hungry.

No other fish apart from SAE are reputed to eat BBA on a routine basis however.

That angel is a keeper!

Love it! It must have been hungry. That angel is a keeper!
When I cleaned the BBA off the wood it would appear again in a couple of days, touch wood there has been no sight of it since.

Back