• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BBA colonised my powerhead

Andy Pierce

Filed under WTF?!? today I discovered that BBA had vigorously colonised my powerhead. This sits right above the CO2 diffuser, so you're not going to get better CO2 or higher flow than right here. This tank has EI dosing and I run the CO2 pretty high at around 40 ppm per drop checker. The tank is pretty heavily planted and the plants are mostly doing well except for some BBA on alternanthera where I just removed those leaves.

Here's a video of the BBA colonised powerhead where the BBA fronds are relaxing in a nice bath of 3% hydrogen peroxide...

Hey Andy, another Cambridge lad!

BBA is generally from high organic matter or flutuating co2. It gathering in front of or on power heads and outlets is pretty normal, as yours is above the co2 diffuser it makes even more sense. Add to that that power heads don't get cleaned very often....

If you up your maintenance a little, clean the head weekly and ideally move the diffuser to not be right under it and you'll likely see it goes away pretty quick. 👍

Back