• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Barcalay Longifollia

Alfie.A

Seedling
Does any one have any experience with this plant? From what I can gather it needs quite a warm tank to flourish 28-30c, it's a bulb, delicate leaves and sensitive root system. I can't find to much on light demands, only that it can do okay in moderate light. Any info will be gratefully received!

Barclaya longifolia does not need especially high temperature, neither to grow or flower. 22 degrees celcius will do fine!! The flower is really something to behold..... like taken out of "Jurassic World".....
Personally I would not call the roots "sensitive" in any way. They may start a bit tiny, but will grow quite strong and big. A nutrition capsule right under the bulb will speed up growth rate considerably.
Light needs to be "reasonable", meaning that the leaves will not develop well in very low light. Colouration (more or less red-ish in different plants) will be light dependant, too. Barclaya longifolia will happily tolerate quite high amounts of light.
Usually a healthy growing plant will produce small plant-lets around it. Be carefull to not separate these from their tiny bulbs, if you remove and re-plant.
Be aware, that Barclaya longofolia is an all time favourite food, for almost all kinds of aquatic snails!!!!!

Barclaya longifolia does not need especially high temperature, neither to grow or flower. 22 degrees celcius will do fine!! The flower is really something to behold..... like taken out of "Jurassic World".....
Personally I would not call the roots "sensitive" in any way. They may start a bit tiny, but will grow quite strong and big. A nutrition capsule right under the bulb will speed up growth rate considerably.
Light needs to be "reasonable", meaning that the leaves will not develop well in very low light. Colouration (more or less red-ish in different plants) will be light dependant, too. Barclaya longifolia will happily tolerate quite high amounts of light.
Usually a healthy growing plant will produce small plant-lets around it. Be carefull to not separate these from their tiny bulbs, if you remove and re-plant.
Be aware, that Barclaya longofolia is an all time favourite food, for almost all kinds of aquatic snails!!!!!
So in a tank full of ramshorn snails it doesn't stand a chance or it more of a hit and miss?

In the 3 m. Tropica tank (unbelievable lots of video's of that tank:rolleyes: ;)), I had ramshorns and bladder snails in "controlled amounts" and they really did not harm the Barclaya during the time, it was growing there. So it is possible - but I have had Barclaya demolished by the same two types of snails before that (0in other tanks). So your "hit OR miss" approach makes sense.....

I purchased one about 7 weeks ago and it has not yet sprouted. THe bulbs are hard so i presume one day at a random time in a random reality it will sprout but so far it has not sprouted. I actually purchased 3 of them but none of them have sprouted. Maybe it needs more love and tender care.... but i think i'll just leave it in the tank...

What's the smallest tank you can realistically grow one of these in long term? How would it be in a 90x50x50cm? I wouldn't mind it dominating one side of the tank but if it would take over the whole thing then no...

50x50x90 tank should do. It can grow quite long leaves and many of them. Lifespand of the individual leaf is not that long, though, and should be removed when looking less than perfect - so the plant will not be as dominant as ex. some Echinodorus will.
Your bulbs should actually be showing some sprouts, by now..... but they can be a little "shy". You could insert a nutrition capsule right under it, this often give bulb plants a "kick", resulting in much better growth!! Most bulb plants are actually really hungry plants, Tiger lotus and Aponogetons included!!

Back