• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

low tech betta

Hi,

I currently have a 34gallon tank with a fluval aquasky successfully growing some low-medium light plants. However i want to grow some more challenging plants and i was wondering if instead of replacing my current light, if i could add another light into the aquarium hood to just give me that little bit extra i need to try more demanding plants.

the tank is 85cm long however the light can be a max of 60cm as the space in the hood is limited.

Thanks in advance

i was wondering if instead of replacing my current light, if i could add another light into the aquarium hood
I personally don't see why not, you could try adding the Fluval plant 3 to give you more scope with the spectrum. Both the Aquasky and Plant 3 are IP67 rated, so should be OK in your hood.
Cheers!

I personally don't see why not, you could try adding the Fluval plant 3 to give you more scope with the spectrum. Both the Aquasky and Plant 3 are IP67 rated, so should be OK in your hood.
Cheers!
unfortunately the plant 3 is a bit out of my budget, the hood has a sealed unit so lights dont need to be IP65/66/67 rated. i was hoping someone would suggest something a bit more budget friendly that is not a standalone unit but would work to provide a little extra light. Also if i bought the plant 3 there would be no need for the aquasky so i may as well remove it.

i know some people use floodlights to provide extra lighting, however i dont have space in the tank hood for these. is there a long thin equivalent/alternative to spotlights. and would that provide enough light?

I believe the latest version of the Superfish scaper led light is suitable for under a hood. It's also dimmable & there is a timer available for it....& the price seems more reasonable!

I believe the latest version of the Superfish scaper led light is suitable for under a hood. It's also dimmable & there is a timer available for it....& the price seems more reasonable!
would this, combined with the fluval aquasky be powerful enough to grow dwarf baby tears?

I'm afraid I can't help there as I've not used either light. I'm sure there is a thread on this forum where someone has set up a Superfish scaper tank which would give you an idea of the light's brightness.

MVIMG_20230410_145154.jpg

here is the aquarium hood as i mentioned the tank is 85cm long but the light is only 60 and only approx 45cm of the light is the actual leds. this means there are dead spots that dont get as much light on either side. is there any sort of small spotlight i could buy that would provide more light to these areas?

I can see the ends of the tank wouldn't get much light with that set up & there's not much room for additional lighting.
It looks as though it originally held two florescent tubes? If the fittings are redundant could you remove the pale plastic part to give you more space or is that not possible due to the way the hood is constructed?

yes there isnt much space, i might scrap the aquasky and buy something better, any recommendations

It looks like they are different models, A is the most basic with the lowest light output then they increase in brightness & sophistication (&price!) Some models have a built in dimmer which I think would be very useful.

I'm probably not the best person to advise about high energy lighting as my tanks are low tech, low light ones.
Try asking the question relevant to Twinstar lights, giving your tank dimensions & volume & I'm sure the Twinstar users will suggest the best model for your tank.
Whichever brand of light you choose, having it fit the width of your tank should make a huge difference to the light spread overall.

For the price , possibly trying one of these ebays units, with dimmer and simple timer in various sizes that should give a good spread over your tank.

001770.jpg

Ive decided on either the twinstar E or S, the E has a brightness of 2500 lumen and the S is 3250 lumen. What would you recommend?

Have you seen this recent thread and Pauls comment about the led lights and the ones he bought , both the Twinstar and the Chihiros
Advice on second LED unit

While the Chihiros might be a little bit dearer than the Twinstars he believes the difference is massive.

Back