• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Back to my roots

I also don't like the scenery style scapes, I reckon they're boring.
I'm with you on that Ian!!

Nice one Ian, go for it.

Sometimes we don't have time to maintain the 'perfect' aquascape. I have very little spare time at the moment, so unfortunately my aquascape is suffering, I could do with something like what you've set up. This should be nice and easy, and I can see it being very enjoyable :) It's still very pleasing to look at, which is the idea!

Thanks Dave, will see how this pans out...gonna get some new plants tomorrow *excited
Looks good to me mate! I got very bored of my last scape if I'm honest...these things happen, besides its nice to get your hands wet having a tinker about :) .... I would say up to your elbows wet, but I know yours is not that deep.

*edit - I've just read that back and it sounds kind of wrong, but I'll leave it anyway :lol:

Cheers for the comment Gary. It's nice to see some clear water this morning. Can't wait to start tinkering again.

I agree with you Ian on the competition scapes. The landscape ones to me seem strange because it's no longer a fish tank with fish... I understand it takes some skill to pull them off (skill which I don't have!) but I'd have my crazy planted tank over the work of pruning moss to look like a tree any day. Although I wish my algae would just feck off hahaha.

Cheers Claire, here's to easy peasy tanks!

Here's a pic of clear water

AoX3oAF.jpg

Will look brilliant when it fills in more, im doing a similar thing and going with a crypt based low tech riparium,

Are you running this high tech ?

I'm missing out, I see no pictures......

They should be there Rob.

Will look brilliant when it fills in more, im doing a similar thing and going with a crypt based low tech riparium,

Are you running this high tech ?

Thanks Mark, this will be running C02, the only reason being that the light dictates it. I also this crypts do a little better in the beginning with c02

Fantastic buddy. This is the 'ian h' style I first remember following on here.
True jungle style thrown together tank. Always been my favourite style and was how I did my high techs. Following this for sure mate.

Thanks Al, that means a lot mate. I now it's only been running for a couple of days now, but it's so clear and clean looking IMO lol
Really looking forward to seeing it all pan out. I can't wait to get some fish in it also. I miss seeing the fish and their natural behaviours.

I had good success with N. Brevis in a planted tank. I managed to get to 4 generations. One of the smaller Julidochromis sp would also be worth a go. Neither are species that people would typically consider for a planted tank but my experience with the brevis was a good one. I'm tempted to try some julidochromis once I get a dedicated tank for my RCS.

One week into the planted tank and alls good. I took delivery of some very rare crypts today, they are all planted, a lot melted in the post, but they are still planted. I will get some pics once they've taken. I have added a small school of ornate tetras.
The back is starting to grow, there's a tiger lily bulb that's now sprouted, so that should be in view by next week. The sword at the back (don't know the genus) has started growing red leaves...looks different!

Here's a full tank
Q1W78cd.jpg

If you're talking about the echinodorus back right, it looks like compacta which I have too. Leaves tend to go a red-brown colour for me under twin t5s.

Hi Claire, the leaves are too thin for compacta. Will have to see what it looks like when it takes it's emmersed form.

All looking very healthy as usual. I am looking at doing something similar to this. The Mrs misses the jungle look I had in my last tank and I have to agree, I just want to add plants at will without having to worry about ruining the aesthetic as much.

I guess I like gardening more than sculpting a scene.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Cheers Ali, it's good to be back doing some gardening. Really good to be back looking after crypts as well. How I've missed them! Lol

I really like that piece of driftwood Ian.
I have a fluval roma 200, which is a basic planted tank, really nothing special at all.
It's about 95% java fern, but i love it.
It hasn't changed for over a year now and think it's time for an update, but nothing too drastic.
I'm wanting to try new plants, which will all be low light but not really put any real thought into yet.

I think sometimes there's pressure to sorta plan scapes with competitions in mind, or those that would perhaps appeal most to others in order to live up to expectation. Either way it can eventually kinda suck all the joy out of the hobby and accordingly it's easy to loose enthusiasm and interest. Perhaps especially so if it becomes more than just a hobby 'casue you don't necessarily retain ownership of what you're creating...In short, we all need something for ourselves.

So to hell with it...just do whatever makes you happy...I try to...and anyway crypts are awesome and your "planted tank" looks grand;)

I really like that piece of driftwood Ian.
I have a fluval roma 200, which is a basic planted tank, really nothing special at all.
It's about 95% java fern, but i love it.
It hasn't changed for over a year now and think it's time for an update, but nothing too drastic.
I'm wanting to try new plants, which will all be low light but not really put any real thought into yet.

Cheers mate, it's 3 bits screwed together, the crypts are settling down now, the swords are still taking their time.

I think sometimes there's pressure to sorta plan scapes with competitions in mind, or those that would perhaps appeal most to others in order to live up to expectation. Either way it can eventually kinda suck all the joy out of the hobby and accordingly it's easy to loose enthusiasm and interest. Perhaps especially so if it becomes more than just a hobby 'casue you don't necessarily retain ownership of what you're creating...In short, we all need something for ourselves.

So to hell with it...just do whatever makes you happy...I try to...and anyway crypts are awesome and your "planted tank" looks grand;)

^^^totally agree and cheers for the comment Troi.

jungle... jungle... jungle! (with a Tarzan wail in the background..) ;) Looking good mate, bushy crypts are my favs

Thanks Stu, good to see you mate! Once it matures you're gonna get a Tarzan, Ollie knott style in there!

Back