• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Back in the Saddle' 90cm - 1 year on!

looking good mate, how do you carry out water changes just syphon the water out and put hose just above the carpet ? love the tank keep updates coming, and I love huge shoals of fish and maybe one larger fish for show but cannot beat lots of little fish lol sure will look great

Dean

Hey Dean, I carry out water changes by siphoning out into a large bucket and then I attach a pump to the hose and it pumps water from the bucket back into the tank, the buckets are heavey but makes good exercise :)

Pic update :)
ljku.jpg

0yzj.jpg

33a9.jpg

1g7x.jpg

Thanks for looking

Great tank, love the use of the "hedge" at the back, not seen that before.

Wish I had the time to invest in a high-tech tank.

I just do one 10l bucket on my tank as small but when get bigger tank I will need a pump sounds like great idea and tank looking great no new fishes yet mate ?

Dean

I just do one 10l bucket on my tank as small but when get bigger tank I will need a pump sounds like great idea and tank looking great no new fishes yet mate ?

Dean
No fish yet buddy, I'm about to be married and a lot of my money is going towards that. To be honest I'm only interested in the plants, I am tempted to restock but the budget it tight :)

Just finished reading your entire journal Vito,...:) Loved the progress of the tank. Here's wishing you all the best for the upcoming marriage. Hope you have a wonderful family life ahead.

No fish yet buddy, I'm about to be married and a lot of my money is going towards that. To be honest I'm only interested in the plants, I am tempted to restock but the budget it tight :)

I know the feeling .... I keep telling the soon-to-be-mrs that I'm only interested in the plants ...... but she is still here ;)

Hey guys, just an update, nothing major to report, I have found the growth to be a lot slower with only two bulbs running so for the next week I have decided to turn on the other two for a 3 period in between, I realize this may do more harm than good but I just want to experiment. I have trimmed the HM again as I like the low bush rather that the tall one that hides the rocks. I also gave the silicone edges a damn goof scrub with a tooth brush as dirt/algae was building up, would someone be able to tell me if scrubbing the joints too hard with a tooth brush will damage the silicone work?
ikvb.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Hi Vito, the tank is looking superb. Well done. Have you changed your mind on selling the system? :)
The seals should be ok with a toothbrush, just a tip for the future. I found it is way much easier to remove this crap if you do it often. If you leave it to long it gets hard and is nearly impossible or very difficult to remove. I tend to brush the corners now every time I clean the glass and do waterchange. It takes just a minute and is very effective :thumbup:

Hello

Can i give you an advice, you really wanna see you tank to blow away. Turn on 4 all lights 10Hours a day, supply CO2, 2 bubbles per second, and get NA or ADA ferts.

The plants will flourish and you will have a great tank. The way you got plants, they are crying for nutrients.. :bawling:

cheers

Hi Vito, the tank is looking superb. Well done. Have you changed your mind on selling the system? :)
The seals should be ok with a toothbrush, just a tip for the future. I found it is way much easier to remove this crap if you do it often. If you leave it to long it gets hard and is nearly impossible or very difficult to remove. I tend to brush the corners now every time I clean the glass and do waterchange. It takes just a minute and is very effective :thumbup:

Hey man thanks for the tips, I have decided to keep the tank for the time being, cant break the habit ;)
lost another shrimp to a suicide jump, not sure why they are doing it and I am hesitant to use the lid as I think it would affect the look, would it be too much co2? is there a more accurate way of reading co2 rather than drop checker...?

Hey guys, i've been staring at my tank for a while and it seems I have some inhabitants that I've never seen before, I can only describe them as tiny brown balls swimming within the HC carpet, at first I thought it was loose powersand being whooshed about but staring at them for a good while its cleat its some sort of parasite/bug? they are no bigger than a pin head and only swim at the bottom of the tank. Can some one shed some light and tell me if its a potential issue and what I can do to fix it.
Thanks

Hey guys, i've been staring at my tank for a while and it seems I have some inhabitants that I've never seen before, I can only describe them as tiny brown balls swimming within the HC carpet, at first I thought it was loose powersand being whooshed about but staring at them for a good while its cleat its some sort of parasite/bug? they are no bigger than a pin head and only swim at the bottom of the tank. Can some one shed some light and tell me if its a potential issue and what I can do to fix it.
Thanks

Can you get any pics?
Have you got any livestock in there already?

Hi all
I can only describe them as tiny brown balls swimming within the HC carpet, at first I thought it was loose powersand being whooshed about but staring at them for a good while its cleat its some sort of parasite/bug? they are no bigger than a pin head and only swim at the bottom of the tank.
They are Ostracods or "Seed shrimp", basically a Daphnia, enclosed in a shell a bit like a bivalve molluscs <Microscope Image of an Ostracod>. They are entirely harmless, and some fish will eat them.

cheers Darrel

Hey guys, an update is well overdue and I thought I would share the progress. Still no additional fish due to the wedding looming but I can report the tank is very stable and everything is going well, I trim regularly to keep the plants under control and I keep on top of the maintenance which I have learned is key to having a successful scape. I have decided that 2 bulbs for 7 hours a day is sufficient for the amount of growth and also keeps the algae at bay. here are a few shot of the tank tonight, I know its getting very repetitive but I hope you enjoy the pics.
c8z7.jpg

ne89.jpg

tog8.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Hey guys, just to update the journal, I am currently in Portugal on a 2 week holiday and I thought I would look at the IAPLC results, im not last but at 2058, not far off :) anyway its lower than I hoped I am happy to get my name on the PDF. Anyway, in my absence I have left the tank to fend for itself, I have lowered the lights to 4 hours per day and I added two weeks worth of ferts into the tank the day I departed. Hopefully this will give the plants enough food. I will take a snap of how it looks when I get back to see how well my method worked.
Watch this space

Your tank is up there with some of the best I have ever seen, i would love to see all 2057 which are apparently better than yours:bored:

I saw your name in there Vito, I'm really surprised you weren't ranked better with this scape...do you have the final picture?

Back