• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Back in the day.......

KipperSarnie

When I first entered fish keeping back in the late 60's when only spiders used the web & an I-Book was a diaryI
Cork Bark was in every planted tank.
OK so it released a lot of tannings & even weighted down it would easily launch like a missile from a sub but it looked fantastic if you got it right.
I've found a supplier of the sizes I need for an idea to rescape my Trigon 350.

Any thoughts please?

As my mate would say "it weren't like this in '96!"

Me personally, I think floating cork bark with Monte Carlo/Cuba on it would look mint

Oh goodness, now you mention it, it reminds me that I used it in my scapes way back in the day as well...as a small child in the 70s :)
That and huge lumps of bog wood were about the only scaping materials on sale in my LFSs.

I remember it lent itself quite well, by way of it's natural curvature, to tray type structures, which I wedged in my aquarium just under the lighting hood as cover for my fish and in which I tried to grow mosses, semi-emersed, from the garden lawn...as far as I can remember it wasn't a great success :(

But on the other hand, cork bark cut in to broad strips was an excellent natural looking background.
'Oh, those were the days'...he said staring in to space with a somewhat nostalgic goofy grin...:D

Last edited:
Being full of air...would cork bark not rot quite quickly under water? I've used cork bark in vivariums and paludariums, never really thought of using it submerged because it is so buoyant, seems like such an awkward thing to use to me!

Hi all,
Being full of air...would cork bark not rot quite quickly under water? I've used cork bark in vivariums and paludariums, never really thought of using it submerged because it is so buoyant, seems like such an awkward thing to use to me!
Cork lasts pretty well under water, it is high in lignin so doesn't really decompose much.

It is pretty buoyant, so you have to really wedge it in.

cheers Darrel

Back