• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Assassin snails

Simon25

This may be a really stupid question… but will assassin snails kill/eat nerite snails? Or is it more to do with MTS etc?

As far as I know, they'll go after anything they can, not fussy.

Attachments

• 20220102_183541.jpg
    20220102_183541.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 153
Sorry for the stupid question but how beneficial are assassin snails in an aquarium from your experiences

Sorry for the stupid question but how beneficial are assassin snails in an aquarium from your experiences

IMO, they do a cracking job if you have small pest snails that you want to get rid of and in my old tank the larger snails that I wanted to keep were pretty much left alone. I even started picking up pest snails from my (somewhat amused) LFS for mine. 😂 I have, however, heard of them taking larger snails. Perhaps when other food options were low!!

They are carnivorous though so for algae reduction, choose a different snail. 😊

For me they were invaluable when I had an outbreak of pest snails which were everywhere... external filter included

I didn't do much to limit their numbers either so that's another positive in my mind (unlike the pest snails that I must have inadvertently added to the tank somehow... their numbers just exploded in no time)

Back