• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Asian glass shrimp

mattyratty78

Hello, I have a few Asian Glass Shrimp in my tank and noticed two of them are now berried.

I have two questions after reading conflicting information. Firstly, an article I read said that the eggs are fertilised after the shrimp becomes berried? I was of the understanding that they pass through a tube after fertilising and they only become berried if fertilised?

Secondly, I read that the larvae hang at the waters surface grabbing what food they can, as the tank mates are 20 neons and some dwarf gourami I wouldnt expect the life expectancy to be too long if thats the case, does anyone know if it is?
20220308_163301.jpg

Bumping for you. Those are cool shrimp!! Most shrimp will pass the already fertilised eggs to their swimmerets to keep aerated, I can’t say 100% the case for these but all others I know that’s the case. Either way if they are berried I’d assume fertilised , if not they will drop them soon.

As for the surface feeding, can you provide cover like Floating plants or moss higher up the water column ?

Thanks for the reply, they are lovely shrimp, I bought them a while ago after seeing them being sold as "Amano". There's plenty of cover for them so I'm hoping the babies survive, ghost shrimp like these are larvae when they're young aren't they?

They carried the eggs for a few weeks and then when I saw them again the eggs were gone so I can only assume they've been dropped or hatched. But one of them is berried again, so fingers crossed I'll have a nice little colony soon.
20220402_145730.jpg

Back