• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are these mosquito larve?

Ajm200

I was trying to raise daphnia. Just dipped a jar to check if I need to add more green water. The water is full of these things.

Photos taken from a video as I don’t know how to add the video. Are these mosquitoes?

I assume whatever these are are safe for the bigger fish. Not sure I want them growing in with the fussy ember tetras

Attachments

• E73D6865-3B40-4EB2-B8F1-3C5B4B2FD8B4.png
    E73D6865-3B40-4EB2-B8F1-3C5B4B2FD8B4.png
    3 MB · Views: 173
  • D4A9A733-C9DD-4FEF-B06B-33E329BDDC8E.png
    D4A9A733-C9DD-4FEF-B06B-33E329BDDC8E.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 114
I hope so. Just need to find an easy way to separate them from the hay I added on a recommendation from here.

Thank you

Hi all,
I hope so. Just need to find an easy way to separate them from the hay I added
They will come to the surface naturally to breathe, they only dive down when something (shadow etc) disturbs them.

Just creep up on them with a net. They like organically polluted water, so it may have been too much hay.

Cheers Darrel

Possibly. It is all floating giving them room to perch and lay eggs. I pushed the hay down with a weld mesh panel and took the surface water with a jug to remove as many as possible

The water itself tests clean and clears within 24 hours. I add some green water from another older water butt where our goldfish is temporary residing every day. He’s moving to a 400l pond in a couple of weeks and gets 25% fresh water daily and the slightly green water from his waterbutt gets pumped over to the daphnia

You will know soon enough if they are mozzies. Many years ago I had a large marine tank and collected my own salt water from rock pools. I bought several buckets of new salt water home and dumped it into the tank. The room was very humid. Next morning I opened the door to find thousands of hatched mosquitoes. What a nightmare......
Dirk

Next morning I opened the door to find thousands of hatched mosquitoes. What a nightmare......
Wow thats crazy! You must have had no fishes in the tank then? I feed mosquitos larvae occasionally in the summer and even my small Ember tetras are gobbling them up! well, not exactly, but they are trying :lol:

Last edited:
Morning Michael, big tank few fish but a he'll of a lot of mozzie larvae. Fish loved them alright it was just to many for them to keep up with.
Dirk

I have weird mini fish. The pygmy cories and ember tetras in filter less Walstad tank completely ignore the tubifex and daphnia in the tank. The critters have been there for weeks. I blister when I get bitten so growing on mosquitoes isn’t ideal

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
Morning Michael, big tank few fish but a he'll of a lot of mozzie larvae. Fish loved them alright it was just to many for them to keep up with.
Dirk
LOL Yes, I can see that happening! The larvae stage can last as short as 4-5 days before entering the pubae stage... if the fish loose interest or cant keep up then your going to have a mosquito situation on your hand... or house :)

Back