• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Arcadia Jungle Dawn 40w LED spot

Phill Austen

Does anybody use this little spotlight? It was suggested to me by a reptile enthusiast who used it for growing plants in a Viv. It appears to be able to satisfy a light hungry floater that I have been trying to grow for years with little success. I am wondering, is it likely to provide sufficient light to get the plant through a UK winter?

What is the planned use? Indoor, outdoor, aquarium, terrarium etc. I've used these on vivariums and terrariums for reptiles and amphibians in planted tanks growing plants such as ficus, umbrella plants, bromeliads and more.

I have the box here in front of me. Is said to be the equivalent of 10 x 24w D3 lamps.
It is 6500k so would be fine for aquatic plants, however it is not water proof and will not even take mist or spray. It does have a built in fan and runs of a E27 screw in light socket with no ballast etc required as LED. In accordance with the box, PAR readings at 30cm are 670 and 360 at 40 cm so a pretty powerful light. The lens is 60 degree. Also has a built in fan for cooling.

Any other questions I'll try to help.

Yeah at least the other one i showed has IP67 standard, resistance to moisture, dust, even good resistance to water. It can go over an aquarium (but not in water).

Michel

Thanks, I am using the lamp in glasshouse to grow a light hungry floating Ludwigia. The blurb from Arcadia suggests that the lamp produces 2883 PAR at 100mm or 1620 at 200mm (I am using it suspended about 2500mm above a heated tub containing the plant). I guess that I should protect it from the possibility of condensation dropping from the glass at night. I don't think that there is much likelihood of splashes from underneath, but the humidity must be high. The plant appears to grow well under it, showing red on the older leaves (which I have not seen in previous attempts at growing this plant using ambient sunlight and mercury vapour spots). Do you think it could be used in very close proximity (100 - 150mm from the plant) to utilise the maximum energy available? Or would this be likely to damage the plant? Thanks, Phill.

Can anyone offer comparisons twixt the little Arcadia 40w spot and the smaller Kessil offerings? I notice that the fan is quieter on the Arcadia ( but i don't know if it stays that way!) I was recommended the Arcadia by a reptile enthusiast, but Arcadia appear to be half hearted in suggesting use for aquatic plants, (despite describing it as a dedicated "plant light).

Back