• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatlantis Volga 240 Dutch Style

aquagenetics

Hey Guys,

This is the before & after pictures of our aquarium, when it wasnt going good, it was the first time we experimented with having additional houseplants on the top of the aquarium.
Well those went out.

Before
20240614_170823.jpg

After things are going good now.

20240701_133624.jpg
Youtube video (Yes i know quality sucks, i only have shitty phone camera)

Highlight Ludwigia Meta (love this plant 🥰)
20240701_135450.jpg

Unfortunately we had some Cyanobacteria, so we had to remove the grass.
Today Before maintenance
20240707_154910.jpg

20240707_193509.jpg
After the maintenance session (The green algae is on purpose for the shrimps on the sides)
also added a flowmaker to the front of the glass, hope it counters the blue green algae.

anyone got any tips how to get rid off cyano bacteria ?
i dont get it if u have good plant growth, how do i still have this dredged bacteria.
i know hydrogen peroxide works, but its just a bandaid, so far what i tryed is more surface flow / and more flow in the down layers of the water.
The flowpump to the right.

Last edited:
Tough one. In a reef tank I would advise manual scrubbing, siphoning and growing the micro fauna with phyto plankton and copepods.
How that transplants to a planted system is lost on me.
But I’d say manual removal along with getting the balance of your tank right would be the long term goal.

Tough one. In a reef tank I would advise manual scrubbing, siphoning and growing the micro fauna with phyto plankton and copepods.
How that transplants to a planted system is lost on me.
But I’d say manual removal along with getting the balance of your tank right would be the long term goal.
Yea we are currently doing manually removal, with every water change, maybe i have to turn the lights down more, since opposite of the aquarium i got huge windows.
but there is not really direct sunlight coming in, only indirect since we have the sunscreen usually out.

Yea we are currently doing manually removal, with every water change, maybe i have to turn the lights down more, since opposite of the aquarium i got huge windows.
but there is not really direct sunlight coming in, only indirect since we have the sunscreen usually out.
My understanding is that lightning doesn’t really affect the outcome much. You could do a blackout for a few days and it won’t cure the issue.

My understanding is that lightning doesn’t really affect the outcome much. You could do a blackout for a few days and it won’t cure the issue.
Yea the blackout will get rid of the BGA, but it will come back again its not a solution just a bandaid and my plants will get alot of hits from it.
im trying to find the underlying cause.

Hi all,
Yea the blackout will get rid of the BGA, but it will come back again its not a solution just a bandaid and my plants will get alot of hits from it.
im trying to find the underlying cause.
That is right, just a band aid. Cyanobacteria are pretty much <"universal in freshwater"> and have very short generation times.This might be of interest <"Fighting algae in a two year old tank">

Probably a silly question, but what filter media do you have? and how much?

cheers Darrel

That is right, just a band aid. Cyanobacteria are pretty much <"universal in freshwater"> and have very short generation times.This might be of interest <"Fighting algae in a two year old tank">

Probably a silly question, but what filter media do you have? and how much?

cheers Darrel
We have sponges and bio media in the filter, we have 2 filters 1 jbl e 1502, and eheim professional 4
in the jbl 1502 we also have seachem matrix, and whatever comes default with it, also upgraded it with seachem purigen.

Hi all,
We have sponges and bio media in the filter, we have 2 filters 1 jbl e 1502, and eheim professional 4
in the jbl 1502 we also have seachem matrix, and whatever comes default with it, also upgraded it with seachem purigen.
How clean is the filter media? Basically does it have a fairly <"thick and sticky biofilm"> development? I'm guessing not.

cheers Darrel

How clean is the filter media? Basically does it have a fairly <"thick and sticky biofilm"> development? I'm guessing not.

cheers Darrel
Hey Darrel,
i have no clue tbh, we havent cleaned the filter yet i think its running now for like 1,5 month. (we usually clean the filter when we notice the flow gets less.)
but if we do clean the filter we only clean the sponges with aquarium water, and not the bio media. could this issue with the BGA come from that we run the tank 24/7 co2 with ph controller ? (ph = 6.30) with hysterisis of 0,10
instead of shutting it off at night ? im currently dosing apt-e 1 cap a day. i wanted to test for nitrates today, since after the trimming we did everything is growing slowly back, but the test was empty 😵 so we need to get a new one for that.

Why do you use a 'Rich dose' ferts in combination with aquasoil?
Because the aquasoil is not enough only ? i dont have any bioload. only a few shrimps at the moment, i tryed apt3 before this and it wasnt enough.
had severely nitrate limitations.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Hey Darrel,
i have no clue tbh, we havent cleaned the filter yet i think its running now for like 1,5 month. (we usually clean the filter when we notice the flow gets less.)
Not that then. We think that a build up of <"undecomposed organic matter"> <"might be correlated"> with cyanobacteria outbreaks. Because most people keep pretty "clean" tanks (personally I don't) the repository for that organic matter may be "out of sight and out of mind" in the filter. Because cyanobacteria need light they aren't going to grow in the filter, but there maybe soluble compounds originating in the filter and promoting cyanobacterial growth in the tank.
but if we do clean the filter we only clean the sponges with aquarium water, and not the bio media.
I'd probably give the biomedia a quick rinse as well. You are never entirely <"reliant on microbial nitrification"> in the filter in a planted tank, where we have a substrate etc., so rinsing all the media won't do any harm.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back