• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatic plants and fish flash cards or study

Savi_g

He there guys
I’m currently going for a job at my local fish shop and I’d like to be some what of a go to guy with the plants section IF I get the job. I have a long way to go learning wise so I was wondering if anyone had any sources for learning your typical, popular aquatic store tropical fish & plants. I really can’t afford some of the books I’ve seen online that are good references but +£50 so I was hoping for any pages that people may know of where I can clearly see diorama's of tropical fish & plants with clearly stated names accompanying them. Thank you in advance guys, you’re always helpful and I appreciate it!

Tropica used to produce quick reference guides I think they were called. I think tropica stockists generally got them as a glossy plant book of dreams. The shop might have a copy.
Otherwise online sources:
For plants flowgrow is a great source of info. Just need to memorise the plants they have in the shop.
For fish, seriously fish is a great resource.
If in doubt about the suitability of mixing fish, I'd always ask just to be sure. It's hard to find documented information about every combination. As a last resort, if it will fit in the other fishes mouth they probably shouldn't be in the same tank.

You can come across books by respected authors at book fairs jumble sales. I have several Richard Mills books all second hand. On you tube Green Aqua , MD fishtanks all good videos and of course George Farmer. Remember learning is a continuos process and some of your customers will have experience and knowledge to give you

Last edited by a moderator:
you could label photos of fish tanks from tropica etc. with all the plants and fish, and then turn them into Anki flash cards with the image occlusion plugin to hide all the labels. I learnt most of the plant names just by studying the labels on the pots and going through the invoices/plant lists when I first got a job.

Back