• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaping in Finland?

Daniel Illman

Hello there world,

My Name is Daniel Illman and I’m from Helsinki, the capital of Finland. I found aquascaping via Youtube for about 4 years ago when I started my first basic fish tank in many years, and have since then been inspired by many excellent aquascapers! Thanks to all the amazing creators out there - you know who you are!

However, aquascaping in Finland is extremely hard to come by due to, well, because it doesn't quite exist here.

A vast majority of people that have aquariums in Finland have never even heard of aquascaping. Because of this, a large number of people are selling their “aquascapes” for cheap because they did not possess the required knowledge and/or experience for achieving proper care or tools for aquascaping, or something even remotely close to it.

I have no one to look up to here in Finland so I am greatful for any tips and tricks I can come by! :)

I hope everyone has a great aquascaping year!

PS. I attached two pictures of my first "real Aquascape", done with the materials that were easily available in my country (Unfortunately not with all the equipment I would have hoped for / external filter with heater, background film, C02 injection etc.) Have a quick look if you want to! :)

IMG_20200727_181653.jpg

Screenshot_20210105-202129.jpg

IMG_20200727_181653.jpg

Best regards, Daniel Illman

Hi Daniel, I also just joined UKAPS. Very nice, clean and minimalist aquascape in your pictures, congratulations! I agree that we face some challenges in our country with this hobby of ours, but the situation has improved IMO over the recent years. There are a couple of quite active FB groups on Finnish aquascaping, new domestic online stores and the possibility to use the prominent European online stores also.

Hey @Daniel Illman and @finniche ! Nice to hear from you guys. I live in Helsinki, too. Have been keeping aquariums since I was a kid, with limited success, in and out of the hobby.
Since 2017 I got back to aquascaping. I've got 3 pretty nice nano-tanks now running (30, 35 and 55L). I agree that in Finland aquascaping isn't that popular, and we are lacking good aquarium stores.
Shout out to Fishtank – Suuri ja edullinen valikoima akvaariotarvikkeita. , these guys seem to try to popularise this hobby among Finns. I've been buying plants almost exclusively from them for the past year.

Let's keep in touch, Finland is a small country and we should promote aquascaping here!
Olen kotoisin Venäjältä, en puhu paljon suomea vielä, mut opiskelen sitä nyt.

Terveisin,
Sergey

Hello @finniche and @Sergey !

Thank you @finniche ! That's very nice to hear, glad you like it ☺️👍

That's amazing! I got my first tank when I was around 8 years old, so quite some time ago as well! And tbh the Aquascape scene back then was pretty dorment to say the least 😅 Should probably join some Finnish FB groups too! I have some awesome plans coming up for the Hobby in Finland, and I also think that the our art has great potential for becoming more well known here as well!

I'm finnish/swedish, so swedish is my native language :)

Let's definitely keep in touch! ☺️

Best regards,
Med vänliga hälsningar,
Ystävällisin terveisin,

Daniel

Another Finn here, new here also. Been trying to search for Finnish aquascapers, groups or anything really. I've had multiple aquariums through my life but I only recently found out about aquascaping. Been watching videos and reading guides ever since, but it would be so helpful to find a group of Finns that have deeper knowledge of the hobby.

Hi Daniel, I also just joined UKAPS. Very nice, clean and minimalist aquascape in your pictures, congratulations! I agree that we face some challenges in our country with this hobby of ours, but the situation has improved IMO over the recent years. There are a couple of quite active FB groups on Finnish aquascaping, new domestic online stores and the possibility to use the prominent European online stores also.
Would you happen to remember the names of those groups? Would love to check them out!

Nice to see more people in Helsinki here! I started this hobby in the UK but been living in Helsinki for a few years now and finally wanting to get back into it all. Thanks @Sergey for the shop recommendation, been a huge help. I've only seen the aquarium shop in Ruoholahti before which has been ok-ish too. If anyone has more recommendations for shops/groups/whatever I'd love to hear, been missing it :D

Hello there world,

My Name is Daniel Illman and I’m from Helsinki, the capital of Finland. I found aquascaping via Youtube for about 4 years ago when I started my first basic fish tank in many years, and have since then been inspired by many excellent aquascapers! Thanks to all the amazing creators out there - you know who you are!

However, aquascaping in Finland is extremely hard to come by due to, well, because it doesn't quite exist here.

A vast majority of people that have aquariums in Finland have never even heard of aquascaping. Because of this, a large number of people are selling their “aquascapes” for cheap because they did not possess the required knowledge and/or experience for achieving proper care or tools for aquascaping, or something even remotely close to it.

I have no one to look up to here in Finland so I am greatful for any tips and tricks I can come by! :)

I hope everyone has a great aquascaping year!

PS. I attached two pictures of my first "real Aquascape", done with the materials that were easily available in my country (Unfortunately not with all the equipment I would have hoped for / external filter with heater, background film, C02 injection etc.) Have a quick look if you want to! :)

View attachment 160006
View attachment 160007
View attachment 160006

Best regards, Daniel Illman
Hi all….Great looking tank Daniel … just arrived here in Helsinki from Oz, although I’m from Uk, so looking for connections to fish, plant and maybe corals😊

Welcome and very interesting to see the differences between countries for me :)

Back