• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaper Surface skimmer

Deano3

Hi everyone hope you are all well, i have recently upgraded to oase 850 and i am using the aquascaper skimmer on the inlet, i have tried a few times over last year with my Biomaster 600 and always struggled with these lilly pipes.

Firstly i have the bottom fully open so not asmuch suction on top skimmer portion and i also place a washer on the skimmer spout to stop getting sucked under the water.

The problems are without the washer it sucks under water i have tried more and less air under the skimmer, also i have had to get up during night a few times to come adjust as ended up sucking loads of air bubbles into the inlet from the skimmer part, air bubbles just get sucked straight in even when skimming surface.

I tried cutting 10mm or so off bottom of the skimmer spout yesterday to see if would keep air away from the inlet bend but air still manages to get through and sucked in.

You can see air bubble in pic but usually a lot more and makes a racket, dont want the old eheim skimm in tank as a bit unsightly and want these to work.

Anyone figured these out yet ?

Thanks dean
fd940b5b4edf7241280ec91e90cdc22c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I had the same problem and gave up on it! I think with some of the more powerful filters the auction can just be too much for this to work properly. I’d love to hear alternate solutions though!

Hi there. You need more flow from the bottom. Try to see how is working if you remove the bottom knob. See how the skimmer is working with and without the washer. Try to change the flow covering partially the tube with your finger. If is a big flow required, then slap a small prefilter sponge on it and you are done.
If you only need a small extra flow, then find a cap for it and using a small drill start drilling holes in it until you are happy with your skimmer.
Let it work for a while until you are 100% sure that you are happy with it and only then you can drill your original knob.
Please take pictures and keep us informed. I'm looking forward to see if we can beat it.
Regards DG

I run into this on occasion, when it does I fix the suction cups so that the inlet pipe sits at a slight angle provides sufficient friction so that it doesn’t get sucked under but still finds it’s own level.

I removed the bottom piece and fitted a pre-filter in it's place. It allows more flow via the bottom opening which solved the issue. Only when the filter gets clogged does the skimmer start bouncing.

See attached.
IMG_20210728_210637987_HDR.jpg IMG_20210730_191757724.jpg
NB: Photo taken after a water change, the DC isn't normally blue with the light on.

Wow, nice tropical view you have there👍.
Coming back to technical part, keep bottom part near by and use it when you do the water change to replace the skimmer. That way you will prevent air getting in the filter on the intake side and if you have the lily pipe out of the water when you prime and start the filter, it will make the process easier.
Also keep the filter with a small tilt towards the left side. If you fitt a 2-3 mm ledge under the right side (hoses side), will help with the bubbles evacuation and make it more silent.
All the best and keep in touch.
DG

Love your tank. Out of curiosity, what plant is that on the right hardscape? It looks like a kind of fern.

Love your tank. Out of curiosity, what plant is that on the right hardscape? It looks like a kind of fern.
Thank you. It is a type of fern, "Bolbitis heudelotii". I find it grows quite fast and takes over the tank quite quickly Bolbitis heudelotii - Tropica Aquarium Plants
Heres a quick (bad) photo I took before a maintenance session when everything was due a good trim. It gives you an idea of how big it gets.

Attachments

• IMG_20210728_172114751.jpg
    IMG_20210728_172114751.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 148
Back