• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaper 900 - Comeback Lockdown Tank :)

Filling in very nicely looks so dense at the back
Sure is, so far so good, just not that happy with the snails lol

You trim it pretty much wherever you want and it will grow from there, like any other stem plant, but from my experience it takes a long time to recover from a trim and it'll be a couple weeks until you start seeing new growth.
When I have just a few stems I tend to cut right above a node, just because it makes sense to me, but I've trimmed big quantities of Juncus freely without any issues.
Many thanks Nuno, I will give it a go this week to the tallest plants and see how it goes :) want to make the Juncus a little denser too.

So many flowers getting ready to bloom :) Really nice tank.
Many thanks, I have some flower shots on my Instagram account also, see if I get those photos on the PC to post some here also! :)

Since @steveno asked for a video on another thread and I thought I would keep all the info here, here is the Magnetic Stirrer in action.

First video is mixing the trace elements, after I had already mixed the Ascorbic Acid and Potassium Sorbate, you can see how quickly it dissolves with the stirrer!

Second video, is adding the Magnesium (100 grams) to the same solution, after I had already mixed some of the other salts.

As you can see from my original post of the cabinet I have the solution on top of the magnetic stirrer, I have placed a timer on it also, so it mixes the solution every day for 2 minutes before the dosing pump kicks in a minute later. So far no issues.

Nice video Paulo.

I liked seeing your shrimp so active.

I assume you turned off your filtration for the purpose of the video, as you have no surface agitation?
Thanks, indeed everything was off as I had just fed the fish before hand too! Usually there is a lot of surface movement.

Is that one 2dKH and one 4dKH drop checker so you can better gauge your CO2?
They are both 4dKH but for some reason cannot get them to match (same amount of 4dKH solution and same number of drops of bromo), one is almost empty at the moment too after I spilled it on the floor lol, given up on the drop checkers and just go with what the plants tell me, that seems to have worked out better lol

Very relaxing, almost like actually sitting in front of it :)
Do find myself in front of it quite often in the evenings now, love the behaviour of the barbs, great little fish.

They are both 4dKH but for some reason cannot get them to match (same amount of 4dKH solution and same number of drops of bromo), one is almost empty at the moment too after I spilled it on the floor lol , given up on the dropcheckers and just go with what the plants tell me, that seems to have worked out better lol
How interesting! I was thinking “that’s very clever to use 2 different dKH for more accuracy across the scale” but it seems actually this a case study for just how useless drop checkers are then? Most of us never had 2 running so don’t know this...

How interesting! I was thinking “that’s very clever to use 2 different dKH for more accuracy across the scale” but it seems actually this a case study for just how useless drop checkers are then? Most of us never had 2 running so don’t know this...
It could be my 4dKH solution which is about 15 years old, I did not expect that to change but who knows! I will get a new one and see, also the bromo I have around has been in the cupboard for donkeys so did not expect that to go bad either, so I will buy some new stuff and see if that makes a difference ;)

This is gorgeous, and all the inhabitants look so happy, could stare at it for hours 😁
Many thanks, I do find myself staring at the tank too often now too :lol:

Reactions: Ray
Great vid Mate really nice to see you enjoying the tank it does look stunning and still very young means many more hrs of pleasure
Many thanks :) yeah lets see how it matures if I can keep it in check! the low CO2 for a couple of weeks did not help it at all!

Are you dosing anything yet? Your hairgrass seems an bit yellow or is it just me? :p
Could have been due to the low CO2 for a couple of weeks, looks greener to the eye from how it looks on camera so not sure! lol I am dosing and stems growing well! My dosing solution needs renewing this weekend see if that helps, I mixed Week 1 with week 2 solution and that might have not been a good idea! :rolleyes: I am going to revert to the original solution and worry about the reds later! Thoughts?

worry about the reds later! thoughts?
Don’t forget the Twinstar E series will never show reds the same way as the S series

Sometimes (ofttimes?) reds take some time for the plant to develop - how did colors develop as stems neared the upper 1/3 of the tank?

And just because I can’t resist posting another FAAO video :cool:

Don’t forget the Twinstar E series will never show reds the same way as the S series
I am looking into getting a new light unit don't think this one will cut it out for me, I used to run 146wT5 on my Rio 125 lol

Sometimes (ofttimes?) reds take some time for the plant to develop - how did colors develop as stems neared the upper 1/3 of the tank?
They were getting redder until I trimmed then haha :) now they are recovering again. don't see much red, but its early days and was doing WC quite often too!

And just because I can’t resist posting another FAAO video
Haha I have seen that one and most of the others lol next time I go to the north of Portugal I will let you know you can pop over, and we got and have a drink with Filipe lol

I wish :happy:
But it’s a long pop from West Coast Canada :arghh: so you’ll have to drink twice!
Not that far off, just across the pond ;) I am sure Filipe will visit Canada on his World Tours sometime in the future ;)

Back