• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascape stores in and around London

Animallover

Hi guys,
I’m new to the aquascaping scene. I have got my tank and main items like filters, lights, CO2 system etc.
So far I’ve bought everything online. I’m now looking to buy all the hardscape and plants. I have saw stuff online but would much rather see the item before I buy.
Just wondering what the best stores are for hardscaping materials (need a wide selection in store) and also for plants (I really want the 1-2 grow series from Tropica but they are mainly out of stock).
Would prefer if there is one store that sells both of these. I live in East London and happy to travel around an hour or so.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks.

Hey!

I'm in London and I'm not familiar with North of the river but I'm aware there's a place in North London that seems decent.

In terms of hardscape, there's a decent selection at Aquatic Design Centre in Balham. They sell a good range of plants too but I'd either get something ordered specifically or check when their fresh stock is arriving for best results. That's the only place I can think that you can readily get both things.

The remaining Maidenhead Aquatics in South London have an ailing supply of both plants and hardscape, not sure why as it never used to be that way. Possibly the pandemic affecting foot fall.

Im in surrey and use local Maidenhead Aq for fish and everything else is online. Our sponsors are pretty amazing, even down to the packing of your plants and hardscape selection. Now, if I see something i just get it. Your right in saying that most things that we want are now in holding containers at ports, rather than tanks all over the country. Must be pretty stressful for the people trying to run the shops.
Sorry bit of a rant!

I live in South London and started aquascaping during covid so haven't travelled far, but sadly in London there's not a massive selection of places. I agree with Courtney that the Aquatic Design Centre is the best, it's hit and miss with hardscape and plants, so best to call them so you know when they've had new deliveries in. Sometimes I'll go there and there's nothing, sometimes I go there and it's fully stocked with plants and hardscape and it's great (though I don't think their hardscape is their specialty). They also have really good fish there, I've never had them come with any diseases or anything and a good range including rarities, and they've ordered fish in for me before too.

I know in Bethnal Green there's a shop called Wholesale Tropicals, but I think they're much more about the fish and less about the plants, I havne't been there yet though. I would see how difficult it is for you to drive to Aquarium Gardens once things open up again, it is a bit far but if you want great stuff that's a great place. Another place which is far but seems good is Crowder's Aquatics in Borden, it looks like it has an especially good selection of wood.

Finally there's the Maidenheads which vary in quality, I've got nice wood in 2 of my tanks from them, but they're both quite small aquariums, they only really sold smaller bits, so if you want drama then the places I talked about above would be better.

Personally when I set up my tanks I went to ADC and get everything they had on my list, then order the rest in from Aquarium Gardens (and Aquasabi, but now with Brexit probs won't do that any more), and ebay lol. I think for my next tank I will call AQ up and see if they can order everything I wanted together, and mix that with plants bought from other users in this forum (the buy/sell forum here unlocks when you have 25 posts I think), which are always great quality.

Can’t think of any great aquascaping shops in London to be fair. I’d recommend the forum sponsors if you want a big selection of healthy plants.

Aquatic Design Centre
Is my local also, usually walk there and back from Stockwell ;)
They used to be better when they were in Great Portland Street, but now have a bigger fish selection which is not bad, as mentioned better to call ahead not to be disappointed.
London does not cater for the aquascaping hobby, fishkeeper yes.

Im in surrey and use local Maidenhead Aq
Which one do you use? I live in Wraysbury so not far from you, I like the Ascot branch. Although it's more sunningdale/Windlesham area. The Addlestone branch seems pretty decent too but maybe not so much for scaping.

Another place which is far but seems good is Crowder's Aquatics in Borden
I can vouch for them also, I visited the store when i first set up my tank. Their choice of hardscape is incredible, If you can't find what you want in there I'd be very surprised!

Merton and Ashtead branches nearest to me. Ashtead great but I generally find there's no hardscape, always great for fish though.
I used to use Living Waters but they were forced out to make flats. They were fantastic! Such a shame.

Merton and Ashtead branches nearest to me. Ashtead great but I generally find there's no hardscape, always great for fish though.
I used to use Living Waters but they were forced out to make flats. They were fantastic! Such a shame.
I used to go to Living Waters too! Such a shame... I got my very first live plants, fish and some hardscape from them. That was...over 10 years ago.

With Darren. He was doing the most amazing scapes then! Chilled guy. I always hoped that he would start up online but yet to see.
I wonder if he's about the forum?
Good times greater plants.
Haha I have been re-scaping today as it goes!

With Darren. He was doing the most amazing scapes then! Chilled guy. I always hoped that he would start up online but yet to see.
That store was amazing! I did offer to setup his online shop for free! as I wanted him to keep selling his plants, had so many rare species and his knowledge is just insane!

Can't forget the huge catfish too! It was like a hidden jungle in there.
Shame it was so far away from public transport! other than driving there were not many options!
A lot of people would not find the store that eye catching, but there were a lot of hidden gems in there! Shame Darren most of the time kept saying "That one is not for sale" :lol::lol:

Thanks for the responses everyone. Actually went to Aquarium Design Centre in the end. Only really needed wood and rocks and found what I was looking for there luckily without calling in advance. Got a lot of new wood fungus on the wood which I’m hoping will go away soon.
6EB17827-9B6A-4919-B24F-AB040F01235D.jpeg

Thanks for the responses everyone. Actually went to Aquarium Design Centre in the end. Only really needed wood and rocks and found what I was looking for there luckily without calling in advance. Got a lot of new wood fungus on the wood which I’m hoping will go away soon. View attachment 167041
It seems we share a LFS :)

Back