• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my aquascape Aquascape not so good? :/

Lukes

This is my aquarium which was never planned to be aquascaped over time I've added more plants and tried to turn it into something but it never seems to look right any advice on how I could improve or change certain things?

e25d70a79291168cb5533b8bcfcbdf33.jpg

Attachments

• e25d70a79291168cb5533b8bcfcbdf33.jpg
    649.9 KB · Views: 97
I think the biggest lesson I've taken thus far is that you need to have an idea first of what you want. What is your idea of an aquascape? Most scapes have concepts behind them - and if you don't have a concrete idea, then you'll end up changing things a lot or not being satisfied. Next step to do after getting an idea is to google images of landscapes that match your idea. For example, you want to do a jungle-type aquascape, I would google Amazon Jungle, Borneo Jungle, Indonesian Jungle, etc. and look at what type of plants grow and the settings they are in. Once you know what a natural setting looks like, then you go to your LFS and you can buy stones, wood, etc. to match what you see and set-up your tank as per such!

The plants look great. As for the scaping I just think you have things to catch the eye all over the place.
I agree with @Doubu and @Greenfinger2 the most important thing is to decide on a theme a work your way from there. If, like me, you are not a very creative person... do some research about aquascaping focal points, as it may help you with some things we usually don't think about.

Beautiful tank :)

Its all about your own style and preference, for example if it was me, I'd bring the bits of wood closer to the fore, plant heavily at the sides, and have a sort of basin at the front

Thanks for the advice :D I'm guessing that less is more? I'm thinking towards removing it all and starting with a piece of redmoor rooty type wood towards the back left and placing rocks/ planting around that. I read up that sloping the substrate and keeping a focal point to slope down kind of like a sideways triangle might help

Hi, your tank looks very healthy - good job ☺ This is a good article basic wrt aquascaping styles http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=aquascaping-styles-by-george-farmer I agree also with what has already has been said - it looks good as is, however if your not happy - 3 general 'shapes' of layout tend to work well. A 'u shaped' layout (the easiest) a 'triangle shaped' layout (what you describe above) and an 'island shaped' layout. Your right - having your substrate deeper at the back of a tank & sloping toward one side is used to create a sense of depth ☺

I really like it aswel! like
Beautiful tank :)

Its all about your own style and preference, for example if it was me, I'd bring the bits of wood closer to the fore, plant heavily at the sides, and have a sort of basin at the front

I would of never of thought to do that. As the amateur aquascaper I would of put them at the back too. However now that you mention this, I'm imagining it and I think that would make this tank go from great to awesome!

Thanks for the support :D maybe it's just because I see others and expect mine to be that I guess everyone's tank is different, might keep this one for a while but I'm defiantly going to add more grass of some sort to the front and take the advice to fill it out more! Will post a picture in the future

May I suggest adding some red plant to the focal point? That would change your scape, right now it's full of green and lack some contrast. Try to experiment a little with different leaf shapes and colors.

790790bca401f42d563ce347a9e66510.jpg

So it's been almost 2 months, I decided to change the old layout and go with this instead. I like this much better the plants are still growing specially over the left side

What's the opinions on this? I took advice and got a red plant and more of a carpet going (or growing should I say)

Looks excellent.. love the arch and the placement of the red plant.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Cool! Will you be letting it go all over grown? or keeping it neat?

I will be letting it become overgrown but at the moment I'm going through the trimming to thicken everything out

Back