• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquariums to visit

Nubias

Hi,

Thought on my mind, what aquariums would you visit anywhere in the world if you could? Obviously nature aquarium gallery in Japan would be one along with Oceanário de Lisboa in Portugal would be another.

What else is out there?

Planning some side visits for a trip need ideas

We have an interesting local aquarium, it is situated in an unfinished tunnel, the tunnel was started by the Victorians and then greatly enlarged but the German occupation forces but it still leads to a dead end rather than completely penetrating the cliff.
Anyway, when the aquarium opened about 60 years ago, the aquarium was a top UK tourists attraction but, unfortunately it has not been successfully updated and now... it is not much short of embarrassing!
The aquarium also made headline news a few years back, when somebody broke in and caught a 19lb bass and then entered it in a fishing competition!
I think he actually went to prison for the offence....
We don’t have the tourists anymore, at least not enough to justify a proper re vamp, so although it is still open, it is pretty awful!

Thanks all,

Aquarium shops also will be considered (always time for shopping) Green Aqua in Budapest looks amazing from George’s YouTube Chanel.

We have an interesting local aquarium, it is situated in an unfinished tunnel, the tunnel was started by the Victorians and then greatly enlarged but the German occupation forces but it still leads to a dead end rather than completely penetrating the cliff.
Anyway, when the aquarium opened about 60 years ago, the aquarium was a top UK tourists attraction but, unfortunately it has not been successfully updated and now... it is not much short of embarrassing!
The aquarium also made headline news a few years back, when somebody broke in and caught a 19lb bass and then entered it in a fishing competition!
I think he actually went to prison for the offence....
We don’t have the tourists anymore, at least not enough to justify a proper re vamp, so although it is still open, it is pretty awful!

Where is that? :)

6E0472F6-FC5F-4923-BC0F-776E9113207E.jpeg
St Peter Port Guernsey.

Bit obvious but the Sealife Centre in London is awesome. Available for private functions making it even more awesome!

I will be in Barcelona in fall and be interested in visiting Cosmocaixa if it is worth my trip. I watched several youtubes on Cosmocaixa, and it appears to be only about Amazon jungle plants and fish, and no other displays, freshwater or marine, right?

chester zoo has a victorian fish house and some lovely planted tanks in the tropics section.

I will be in Barcelona in fall and be interested in visiting Cosmocaixa if it is worth my trip. I watched several youtubes on Cosmocaixa, and it appears to be only about Amazon jungle plants and fish, and no other displays, freshwater or marine, right?
This is way too late to be of interest to you, but others may be interested.
I am currently in Barcelona, which has an excellent aquarium by the sea, which is mostly salt water fish as usual, but has a number of planted aquariums, terrariums and paludariums by Yago Alonso in an installation at the end; there is a large river installation with various tetras discus etc,
and 9 smaller ones. They are a little bit poorly maintained, but still very good.

Cosmocaixa, the science museum inland a couple of miles has this amazing Amazonian rainforest installation, which has various birds, capybara (!) and lots of fish in a submerged forest setting. It also has maybe 12 large and beautiful aquariums showing various particular biotopes, mostly freshwater but with a couple of saltwater tanks with anemones etc. Really worth a visit and better for the readers of this board than the aquarium. Very nice displays and very well maintained. I'll upload a bunch of photos if there is interest.

I have been to many public aquariums in the US... Most noteworthy in USA: When I lived in LA I had a pass for a couple of years to the Long Beach aquarium (Aquarium of the Pacific), so I went there many, many times (got to be friends with the penguins and parrots there in the outside enclosure.... I bet it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I always had treats for them). I visited the Monterey Bay aquarium a couple of times (immense). The Newport aquarium in Kentucky (across the Ohio River from Cincinnati) is very, very nice and got some great Bourbon distillery tasting rooms walking distance from the aquarium... LOL. Outside the US I've only been to The Blue Planet aquarium in Copenhagen some 9 years ago shortly after it was relocated, which may actually be the coolest I've visited... I was big on Cichlasoma Cichlids at the time so their huge very natural looking cichlid tank blew me a way. Honorable mention must be the annual State Fair in Minnesota where the Department of Natural Resources put native fish on display in huge tanks - seeing a big Northern Pike in all its glory is a sight to behold!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back