• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium wood

Simon25

Hi all, I’ve been trying to hunt down some manzanita wood but no where has anything in stock… is there a substitute wood that wouldn’t put any tannings into the water?

Thanks 😁.

I’ll have a look at it, does it put a lot of tannings in the water? I’ve had driftwood before and soaked it for ages but still after a few days made my tank have a yellowish tinge
@Simon25 All wood put out tannins to some extent... some more than others. Marsh root less so... (at least the one I used to have) Manzanita even less so... I used to be pretty hysterical about not getting my water stained... after learning about the benefits of tannins, such boosting the livestocks immune system, its acidifying properties etc., I have learned to embrace it - took me a while :) ... and with weekly 40% WC's its really no big deal.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
@Simon25 All wood put out tannins to some extent... some more than others. Marsh root less so... (at least the one I used to have) Manzanita even less so... I used to be pretty hysterical about not getting my water stained... after learning about the benefits of tannins, such boosting the livestocks immune system, its acidifying properties etc., I have learned to embrace it - took me a while :) ... and with weekly 40% WC's its really no big deal.

Cheers,
Michael
Yea I’ve read in a few places it has good benefits for the tank. I think I need to get over the aesthetics of a crystal clear tank… but it looks so good clear 😂.

At the moment I just have plants and rocks but I want to do a proper aqua scape rather than plonking rocks in and placing plants around them
Lol.

I’ll give the marsh root a go if I can find some stock of all aquatic stuff seems to be sparse at the moment 😩

Also you can add purigen to your filter for the first few weeks/months, which will suck up all the tannins any wood puts out and leave the water nice and clear.

Never heard of this, what is it? Like a sponge thing or?
Hi @Simon25 Here is a link to Purigen I am a long time user, solely for its water polishing properties as @shangman mentioned. It is quite good at removing tannins, but your also removing the beneficial properties of the tannins to some extent then. I recently started to add dried almond leaves to the tank where I keep shrimps, so I have stopped using it in that tank. Worth noting is that you can recharge the Purigen 3-4 times (as opposed to say activated carbon that is only good for 2-4 weeks) before you need to replace it.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi @Simon25 Here is a link to Purigen I am a long time user, solely for its water polishing properties as @shangman mentioned. It is quite good at removing tannins, but your also removing the beneficial properties of the tannins to some extent then. I recently started to add dried almond leaves to the tank where I keep shrimps, so I have stopped using it in that tank. Worth noting is that you can recharge the Purigen 3-4 times (as opposed to say activated carbon that is only good for 2-4 weeks) before you need to replace it.

Cheers,
Michael
That’s good to know thanks michael, will definitely look into purigen 👍🏻

Back